Can I get into a Political Science Grad Program w/ BS in Psychology?

I am curious b/c I read on Wikipedia(Ik, Ik you can't always trust them) that Psychology is in fact considered a related field to Political Science. All of the grad schools I have looked at all say they want people who have degrees in Pol. Sci. or a related field, so my B. S. in Psychology SHOULD work then correct?

I'm honestly so confused at this point!

Favorite Answer

i got into a MIS masters program with a BA in psych, so if i can do that i dont see why you should have a problem with poli sci

Hi Courtney,

Although political science and psychology are both considered social science majors, psychology is not a very closely related field. Most political science graduate programs will prefer that you have taken some political science coursework. "Related fields" to political science typically refer to something like history, economics, or international development / policy studies.

If you don't have any coursework in political science under your belt, you will need a persuasive statement of purpose that explains why you are making this switch and what specific research areas in political science you are interested in. You would want to demonstrate through your application materials that you are ready to study political science at the graduate level and that you are an excellent student overall.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Source(s): Completed graduate school in both political science (international relations) and psychology (clinical psychology).
  • LCC

Talk to the Graduate Admissions departments at the schools you're interested in.

Source(s): My 2 cents.

Probably. You have to ask the grad school.