Since human DNA supposedly confers humanity, does that mean we have duties toward HeLa cells and hydatid moles?

I've just seen an argument on here claiming that DNA implies humanity and therefore that we must treat a foetus as human. Here are two other examples of viable processes with human DNA.

(Sorry about the wall of text btw, please be patient with me):

1. A woman called Henrietta Lacks died of cervical cancer in the mid-twentieth century. A sample was taken from her body which was then cultured and the cells have persisted, contaminated other cell lines and are used in medical experiments today. Plenty of her cells still survive. It's feasible that the medical establishment has duties towards her estate regarding profits they have made as a result of patents and other research, but do those researchers have duties towards those cells? They constitute a viable organism which can live outside a living human body.

2. A hydatiform mole, or molar pregnancy, is a tragic circumstance where rather than producing a living baby, a pregnancy becomes cancerous and can invade the mother's body. This tumour does depend on the mother for survival, but so does a foetus. It has human DNA, of course, being the product of a human fertilised ovum If it's DNA which confers humanity, does this not mean that we have a duty to preserve that tumour's life just as it is claimed a foetus should not be aborted? What is the significant difference?

What about an anencephalic foetus?

Does this seem like a valid argument to you?

Favorite Answer

These are hard decisions that the subjects involved have to make. Unless one is subject to this reality one has a hard time judging and probably shouldnt be the one to make such a decision.

• Jimbo

You're trying to split hairs by ignoring the fact that a baby is a human being and intimating that being from human DNA constitutes being human. It doesn't. I clip my fingernails and they have DNA. By your reasoning, I should protect them because they contain DNA, which is preposterous. Also, the hydatiform mole, is not human whereas the anencephalic fetus is a human being and can live outside the womb. The cells from Henrietta Lacks cannot live outside the laboratory and they are simply cells, they are not a human being.

"Does this seem like a valid argument to you?"

Not to the people on this category.

People here think a Magical Sky Fairy lit his farts and started the Universe.

I have a petri dish of HeLa that I like to take for walks in the park.

My wife Sindy Liscious and I will raise them! The one sounds a little like Meatwad, and he's kind of cute.

And no! No duties!

Pheiry made a very good point!

U R retarded