"The Great Gatsby" literary devices?

Can anyone give me some examples of these literary devices in the the book "The Great Gatsby".

Please, and thank you!

1. protagonist (one example)

2. antagonist (one example)

3. characterization

4. climax

5. conflict

6. dialogue

7. diction

8. figurative language (metaphor, simile, hyperbole, or personification)

9. foreshadowing

10. mood

11. theme

12. symbolism

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

1.) Protagonist- Jay Gatsby

2.) Antagonist- Tom Buchanan

3.) Characterization- Jay Gatsby led a very mysterious life. Most people knew of him; few knew him personally. The main characteristics of Jay Gatsby were that he was very worldly, loved to show off, and was always thinking deeply.

4.) Climax- The climax of the novel occurs during an argument between Gatsby and Buchanan over Daisy. Gatsby tells Tom that Daisy never loved him.

5.) Conflict- The main conflict is between the different class divisions of 1920's America. Gatsby and Tom are so different in many ways, but despite Gatsby changing his name and fortune for the sake of Daisy, he still loses it all. Daisy will always stay with Tom because he is of high class and rich. Tom wants a lower class woman like Myrtle to have an affair with simply because she is such a strong contrast to Daisys upper class character. The areas such as West Egg and East Egg, mentioned in the book also represent this division.

6.) Dialogue- For the most part, characters in The Great Gatsby are well-educated. Their speech and dialogue reflect this education, which in turn reflects their wealth.

7.) Diction- Hmm...look at this example: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201010...

8.) Figurative language- a. Personification- “Floating rounds of cocktails permeate the garden outside, until the air is alive with chatter and laughter” (40). b. Simile- “Went like moths among the whispering and the champagne and the stars” (39). c. Metaphor- The green light at the end of Daisy's dock represents Daisy to Gatsby. That's why he always stares out at it every night, he's thinking of her. He misses her greatly.

9.) Foreshadowing- Nick mentions how he feels that Daisy and Tom are part of a secret society when he first meets them in their new house in East Egg indicating that they will stay together and disappear like a 'secret society' if something happens.

10.) Mood- In the beginning of the book, the mood is happy/bright etc. because everyone is joyous and in love and everything seems right (summer time).

Then, the story continues and the the setting becomes more somber and tense because everyone is dying/losing lost loved ones/becoming more distant from those they love (winter time).

11.) Theme- The main theme of The Great Gatsby is predominantly one of the pursuit of the American dream.

12.) Symbolism- The Great Gatsby is full of symbolism. The use of East and West in the novel is highly symbolic. The East Egg represents wealth and the corruption it causes. The West Egg represents morality. It was known for its values and work ethic.

• baney
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

The Great Gatsby Literary Devices

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

"The Great Gatsby" literary devices?

Can anyone give me some examples of these literary devices in the the book "The Great Gatsby".

Please, and thank you!

1. protagonist (one example)

2. antagonist (one example)

3. characterization

4. climax

5. conflict

6. dialogue

7. diction

8. figurative language (metaphor,...

Source(s): quot great gatsby quot literary devices: https://biturl.im/M5ynk
  • 8 years ago

Some symbols are the green light, rain(bad weather) sun. I don't know about anything else I read this book last year so I don't remember sorry

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.