How long did it take you before you were able to pirouette? Double? Triple?

Favorite Answer

I started ballet when I was 2 and we did a gradual progression up to pirouettes. First we did exercises getting from fifth to pirouette position, then from fourth, all without turning and on flat foot and holding the position for 4 beats. Then we did the same but to pirouette position on demi-pointe. Then we did quarter turns from fifth and fourth. Then half turns from fifth and fourth. Then full turns from fifth and fourth. Then full turns from second. Then one and a half, then doubles, then two and a half, then triples. Then singles and doubles on three-quarter pointe. Then singles and doubles on pointe holding at the end for 4 beats. Then triples and fouettes on pointe. Then multiples (more than 3) and pirouettes ending in funny positions, such as attitude and arabesque.

I started doing the first exercises (no turns and on flat foot) when I was about 6. I did singles and doubles when I was 10, although I always found doubles and triples easier (both on demi, three quarter and full pointe) than singles because you put so little energy into a single, especially on pointe. I dislocated my knee and did something to the ligaments in my ankle when I was 11 after a jumping triple went wrong and I landed on my bum with my working leg twisted up underneath me. I still wouldn't say that I can do a perfect pirouette 100% of the time because that's impossible and anyone who thinks that their pirouettes are perfect just haven't found something else to improve. My technique has always been very strong but I could spot faster and put more ebb and flow into my pirouettes.

I've been dancing for 10 years and can do a triple turning to the right but not the left. It honestly depends on how coordinated you are and if you are a "natural turner". Some people are just born with the right type of body and coordination to get around better than others. For me it took only a few years to perfect a single and then a double came soon after that. All you need to do is practice pirouetting with a deep plie and spring straight up onto a straight leg. You need to make sure to hold your center and keep your hips in line with the rest of your body so you don't fall forward or backward. Also make sure you get both shoulders around and spot with a sharp head. When you "spring up" think of sucking your tummy up and tucking your rear end under.

I started Pirouetteing in my second year of ballet. However, I was doing doubles by myself that same year. But i am still working on my triple. Going into 5th year of ballet.