Where are the best campsites near Mt. Washington, NH?

Myself and a group of friends in our late 20's want to hike up Mount Washington in mid September. We are from Boston and we are looking for some options for campsites near the mountain. What are best campsites to facilitate this? We don't want to go back country camping, just find a nice basic campsite that we can all drive up to and meet at after work on Friday and stay the weekend. We don't want to stay at a tackey place with a pool, restaurant and lots of children...just a fire pit, picnic table and lots of trees :) Thanks

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The State Parks or WMNF Campgrounds are all good camping places which can cater to your taste.

No Amenities though. Pit toilets and maybe a swingset, although some of them now have real bathrooms and showers, like Lafayette Place and Dry River. They are much more like "camping" if you ask me and usually under $20 a night. Is that cool?

Camping needs some thrills as well as something adventure, or it may not be called camping. If you camp there with your friends, you will be never disappointed~~ i am sure!!!

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

= most people doing the Mt Washington area stay in the AMC huts. The presidents in general are very demanding hiking and have some of the worst weather in the country. pick up a copy of the AMC white mt guide before you start planning your trip.

= white mountain national forest, especially around the mt washington area...the Kancamangus highway is a well known route through the heart of the "Whites" and its dotted with national forest campgrounds---rustic, primitive campsites that are well spaced and wooded, no Yogi Bear Campground amentiies here....most of the campsites are pretty much the same so it just depends on where you want to hike/camp or which has availability as they do fill up fast especially in the summer and holidays

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

= These are the best campsites near Mt. Washington, NH..

- Ammonoosuc Campground

- Estimated Price: From $2

- Tarry-Ho Campground & Cottages

- Twin Mountain Motor Court & RV Park

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

that is an ambiguous determination. One person's undesirable climate might nicely be relaxing for yet another. Mt. Washington does have between the cruelest climates for an inhabited section in the worldwide because of its very severe winds and regularly chilly temperatures. i'm specific it could additionally be worse on splendid of, say, Mt McKinley or Everest, yet those places get in basic terms a fairly few travelers sometimes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Campgrounds Near Mt Washington

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.