Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 10 years ago

Food stockpile+ survival question.?

I'm guessing America is doomed, and my money will be worthless. I'm wondering how to get started in stockpiling food and water. Like where to get the best prices, what to get, same with water. And should I get real seeds that produce crops the produce more seeds you can grow?

I'm guessing I'll need enough food to last a few growing seasons.

• Roddy
    Favorite Answer

Many "survival" foods are vastly overpriced. Before investing in them consider the following: Hormel, (yes the people who make SPAM), openly state on their website that so long as their cans are in good condition their foods can last almost forever.

This is usually true of most canned foods. The only difference is the other companies want you to toss expired foods so you will buy more from them.

Keeping this in mind you can probably buy regular canned items that you actually like to eat instead of those crappy MREs that taste like cardboard and you can buy a lot more of them. When properly rotated out, (used regularly), you won't have to worry about any dates on the cans anyway.

We have a fair stockpile of can goods and have for many years. When we use a can we replace it. The new stuff goes to the back and the old stuff gets used first. Don't let your food over heat or freeze. Drastic temp changes can reduce it's shelf life quickly.

The link below goes to some information about the testing of some very old can goods. It might surprise you.

where do you live? I have used canning to stockpile at least 5 years of food for my family and close friends. Get MRE's, I like major surplus and survival. Don't forget guns and ammo to protect your stash.

minimum 2 years if you have seeds and such to grow your own.

You might want to look at survival food companies. You can get some great products at www.survivalcavefood.com

When you live in an apartment in a big city, buying seeds is not an option.

But we can buy guns and pillage the countryside.