Carpet replacement in rental unit (in Dane County, Wisconsin)?

My husband and I have been renting a duplex for two years. The carpet was shabby when we moved in but after two years it's now disgusting. It is threadbare and tacking strips and staples are beginning to show, when we inquired about the age of the carpet our landlords said it was 15 years old and they have no intention of replacing it. We like where we're living but think it's unfair we be charged pet rent for carpet that should be replaced. Are there any statutes or legal requirements to make them replace the carpet?

Favorite Answer

No, there are no lws requiring carpet in the first place, let alone it being replaced. 15 is not that old. Mine is 9 and looks new after I vacuum it, and that is with 3 kids and 3 dogs.

The law only states that the place has to be habitable. There is no law that says you can qualify for lower rent if you don't like the carpeting.

If you want to negotiate a lower rate on the lease or when the lease is up then you are free to ask them, but again, they are not obligated to lower the rate or suspend the pet fee.