I broke my no contact rule with my ex bf. Was this a mean thing to say?

My long distance ex bf broke off with me 5 weeks ago saying that he couldnt do distance but wanted to remain friends just in case we may have the chance to get back together if we were in the same city. I have been following the no contact rule with him but broke it by sending him an email this week asking him if... show more My long distance ex bf broke off with me 5 weeks ago saying that he couldnt do distance but wanted to remain friends just in case we may have the chance to get back together if we were in the same city. I have been following the no contact rule with him but broke it by sending him an email this week asking him if we will ever be able to rekindle what we had in the future. He sent me a reply saying that if we were in the same city he would get in touch with me and then asked me why I was asking this question. I said to him that I might meet someone in the near future while going out with friends.... was this a mean thing to say? What would he have thought about my reply?