Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 9 years ago

Medical staff: how do you inform parents that their teenager has died?

It's for a story I'm writing. I looked it up on Google, but I didn't find enough information. The parent in my story loves his child to the point of obsession, I've seen a few parents like him and wondered how a doctor could deliver the news of the death.

Dialogue would be greatly appreciated. Anything else that explains would be awesome to.

Favorite Answer

Telling a patient has died is more difficult as a pediatrician because many parents can be apprehensive and the added effect that the person that dies is usually just a small child, so full of youth and health and many times was previously healthy before they got pneumonia or suffered a car accident.

Doctors feel a sort of sense of defeat if the patient was previously doing better and suddenly deteriorate and die suddenly, especially if they got to know that patient and liked him. You simply quietly call the relatives to a quiet hallway or office and privately tell them the patient had a complication from their disease, you tried standard resuscitation maneuvers to no avail and inform them the patient passed away and will start issuing the death certificate right away. Different people react differently to the death of their relative depending on how close they were and if the patient was expected to recover but unexpectedly died all of a sudden.

If the death was sudden and unexpected, relatives will moan the loss in some cases, quietly stay rigid from the news without saying a word and in some occasions become violent. I once saw a son punch a social worker in the face in anger when he found out his mother passed away and yelled at a poor nurse that just happened to be in the room death threats. I seriously thought he was going to take out a gun and shoot her but luckily he was unarmed and the security staff took him out. Pretty scary and surprising experience because I was just a few feet away writing notes while the commotion happened.

In the hospitals I work at, we have a social worker who comes down to be with the family at the conference and stay with them & help arrange things. How you tell them depends on what is happening. If they are in the ICU, the family is in the room with the patient and the process is explained. If they need privacy we have a special room. If the patient is in the ER, and the family has not arrived, we move the patient to an empty room, and bring the family into another empty room and tell them that their child died after (whatever) (injuries-etc) and then take them in to see their child. Unfortunately in the ER, it is too busy to let them have a lot of time, so the hospital nursing manager sometimes finds a room elsewhere. The dialog is usually to the point & direct with sympathy. Many parents react with anger (it can almost become a brawl at times), so if they can witness the resuscitation efforts we let them watch. That is also the reason a social worker is present. The way they actually do it on TV is actually (for one instance) the way it is done.

Source(s): PICU (peds ICU)/ER PA
  • ?

I have a family friend who is a doctor and she told me this story:

A 15 year old boy stole his parents' car and drove to some party. He got drunk and on his way back he hit an oncoming car and fell into a coma. Four days later he woke up, and when the she left to inform his parents, he died from his injuries. She called them over to the hospital and told them quietly,"I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but Daniel has just passsed away. I am so sorry for your loss." She let them cry then took them so they could see their son. She said it was one of the hardest things she has ever had to do. I hope this helped.

• motl

you already know, there grew to become right into a regulation & Order episode that dealt with this subject count - i think of that's an older one - Chris Noth and Jerry Orbach have been the detectives i think of. solid episode. i think of the state could have the ability to stress medical treatment - incredibly no count if that's a minor. i do no longer think of it falls below the separation of church and state in any respect. To me, mothers and dads that deny their toddlers desirable medical treatment are being irresponsible. Now, no longer taking discomfort medicine is one element - in the event that they do no longer desire to take ibuprofen in the event that they have a headache, that's one element. yet diabetes is a thoroughly distinctive situation. you're no longer endangering your existence in case you do no longer take ibuprofen for a headache (in spite of the reality which you certainly would be in some discomfort). Untreated diabetes can unquestionably be existence threatening as this concern shows. If the guy is a minor, i think of the state could stress medical treatment. If the guy isn't a minor, and refuses treatment on their own behalf, then the state shouldn't intervene. yet an 11 12 months old female is a minor, and she or he isn't allowed to make judgements for herself below the regulation, and if her mothers and dads are being irresponsible, the state could step in, non secular ideals or no longer. i might additionally think of that the mothers and dads could certainly be held criminally accountable - they'd be charged with criminally negligent homicide. individually, i might value them with that. i'm confident some will disagree with me, yet i'm of the perception that the solid Lord did no longer provide human beings the brains to come again up with remedies for illnesses like diabetes and then anticipate us to no longer use them. the girl's loss of existence is tragic, and much extra so because of the fact it could have actual been prevented. would God save her in His loving palms. Peace!