How can i straighten a painted canvas?

My wife and i bought a painting, about 4 by 2 feet. I am building a floating frame and just noticed from lining up the rails that the top of the canvas is bowed. Meaning that if i position about 1/2 inch gap for the floating frame on the two sides, the middle of the rail is touching the canvas (when there should ve a similar 1/2 inch gap. Hope that makes sense. I don't know if there is a way now that i can try to straighten sehow, even though the painting is done. The painting is oil.

Thanks fir any thoughts you might have.

Tim

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Art is worth the Originality.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

From your description, it sounds like the stretcher bar is warped. There's no way to un-warp a bad stretcher - you'll have to buy or build a new stretcher frame and re-stretch the painting. First, remove the staples or tacks that are securing the canvas to the stretchers. Be very careful with the unstretched painting - it could crack, especially if it's an older painting. Build or assemble the new stretcher frame to the exact dimensions of the old one and make sure it's not at all warped. Finally, gently stretch the painting over the stretchers and staple the painting to the frame. Make sure it's not under too much tension, though.

Source(s): Stretched and unstretched hundreds of paintings
    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.