How to set up the QoS (Quality of Service) on a Westell 7500 router?

I've looked EVERYWHERE on the internet and it seems like no one on this planet knows how to do this. The QoS is supposed to prioritize one of the ip addresses connected to my router and feed more bandwidth to it then the other connections to my router. I do not know exactly how to set it up, I don't have much experience with some of the stuff shown on the page and I don't know what should be set to what. I'm sure there has to be someone out there who knows how to set this up.

here is a link to what I'm talking about:

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3365091...

Favorite Answer

What don't you know?

You need to enable QoS. Then you want to set the filter up so that packets that originate from the PS3 (or xbox...whatever) MAC address are assigned the EF or AF4 QoS classification. The MAC address of your PS3 is a permanently assigned physical address, no idea how can find out what it is - I've never touched a PS3 in my life. Your router may have a DHCP table that maps MAC address to IP address that you can get it from. Many network gizmos have a sticker on them with the MAC address. It's in the form of hexadecimal number like 00-00-1D-AF-42-A9. Use the MAC address because it will never change.

Be aware that QoS isn't enabled on the Internet. What QoS does is add something called Diffserv Code Point (DSCP) to your IP header, the EF (expedited forwarding) DSCP is the highest priority and is usually reserved for Voice over IP. BE = best effort and as the name implies is the lowest priority. The entire Internet uses BE currently.

Because QoS is not used on the Internet, it's possible that routers in the Internet will drop your packets or that the router you first hit at Verizon will strip the DSCP off the packet anyway.

Also, applying QoS KILLS the forwarding performance of most routers. Even if you do get it configured right, there is no guarantee it will improve your performance. The purpose of QoS is mostly to provide priority for the packets after they exit your router, not to provide priority in the Diffserv Edge Device (which is what your router is). Diffsere = differentiated services. It's described in detail here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffserv

Your typical sub $1000 router can forward packets at close to wirespeed (i.e. 10Mbps or 100Mbps) providing you don't turn on any services (NAT, Firewall, QoS...). From my experience, NAT and Firewall have about a 10-15% hit on throughput, where QoS edge (apply the filter and DSCP to the packet) can hit the throughput upwards of 50%. Your 10Mpbs router just turned into a 5Mbps router for example.

Ideally what you want is for the PS3/Xbox to apply the DSCP to the packets, then your router just forwards them without having to apply the DSCP. In this case you don't take the performance hit as bad. Which is all moot because you won't get any benefit after the packets leave your router anyway.

Increased bandwidth is always better faster and cheaper than implementing QoS.

Source(s): Network engineer

Westell Router Setup