How does one get S.A.G (Screen Actors Guild) eligible?

Detail description please!!!

3 Answers

  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    The Screen Actor's Guild (SAG) represents filmed entertainment and AFTRA represents projects that use electronic cameras. In most cases, however, to appear on most sit-coms, you would have to be a member of SAG.

    You do not always have to be a member of SAG to work on sets. There are SAG Extras and non-SAG Extras.

    "Performers are eligible to join Screen Actors Guild after working on a SAG film in a principal role, gaining "Taft Hartley" status 15 days after the first day of work - or meeting background entry requirements."

    A performer becomes eligible for Screen Actors Guild membership under one of the following two conditions: (1) proof of SAG employment or (2) employment under an affiliated performers’ union.

    Proof of Employment

    Principal Performer Employment

    Performers may join SAG upon proof of employment. Employment must be in a principal or speaking role in a SAG film, videotape, television program or commercial. Proof of such employment may be in the form of a signed contract, or original pay stubs. The document proving employment must provide the following information:

    applicant’s name

    applicant’s Social Security number

    name of the production or name of the commercial (product name)

    the salary paid (in dollar amount)

    the specific date(s) worked.

    Background Actors may join SAG upon proof of employment as a SAG–covered background player at full SAG rates and conditions for a MINIMUM of three work days subsequent to March 25, 1990. Employment must be by a company signed to a SAG Agreement under which the Producer is required to cover background actors. Proof of employment must be in the form of original paystubs or a payroll printout faxed from the payroll house. Such documents must provide the same information (name, Social Security number, etc.) as listed above.

    Employment Under an Affiliated Performers' Union

    Performers may join SAG if the applicant is a paid-up member of an affiliated performers' union (ACTRA, AEA, AFTRA, AGMA or AGVA) for a period of one year and has worked and been paid for at least once as a principal performer in that union’s jurisdiction.

    Please refer to the official SAG website for more detailed information:

  • 8 years ago Go to an open call. You can join S.A.G through them. Least you used to be able to a few years ago. I remember it being expensive so I never joined, but you can always sign up with Nancy Hayes ($20 one time fee) and get casting calls, usually pays around $100-150 for a day of extra work (Being an extra in a commercial/movie etc). I don't work with them anymore but it's good if your new and want extra work.

    Source(s): Personal experience and people I know
  • R K
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

    you need to get a part as a principal actor in a SAG covered film, or get three extra jobs that give

    vouchers for SAG.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.