How can small businesses survive when the people that actually spend money, have no money?

Republican economics make no sense at all.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Some of it still lingers from "Reganomics"... Trickle-down economy... give the big companies tax breaks, they have more money, they'll hire more people, create new jobs, problems solved!!

I've actually had a friend of mine say, with a strait face "Trickle-down economics works! Regan proved it"... Umm, yeah, I guess that's why so many businesses shut down during the 80's...

Here's the problem... Politicians...Republicans and Democrats alike... don't seem to understand this (I get it, and I BARELY passed economics)... Tax cuts, do NOT automatically equal new jobs or a boost in the economy... a company does not magically hire more people just because they suddenly have more money in their pocket... a company expands and hires more workers when there is MORE BUSINESS (aka DEMAND) available.... More business = more jobs... More tax cuts = a jacuzzi at the CEO's vacation cottage in the Caymans..... big difference

In response:

"Why should I work to pay to keep people on Welfare"

I agree, sort of... but... I'm a gainfully employed, childless citizen... who's tax dollars support public schools... can I use that same argument?

"Welfare was never meant to be permanent"

I TOTALLY agree!! I think it all should be set up as a "welfare-to-work" type program... follow the same rules as unemployment... You should have to do your part... PROVE that you are looking for a job, and should have a deadline...

"I don't know what choices you and others made in life, but I was sure to get an education and improve the quality of my life over time."

Ah, the classic debate... unemployed, vs. "underemplyed". Yeah, buddy, I have an education too, a degree in science... but, I had trouble finding work, because all the entry-level positions were filled with people who had masters or PhD's.... thanks to years of conservative underfunding of science... I know bartenders and waitresses who average more than scientists and business majors in terms of earnings.... get a better argument

"So when a tax cut puts spending money in the next pay check that is bad for the economy"

No, tax cuts for average citizens could be a good thing, but that's not what we see... we see tax cuts for the wealthiest 2%, or for businesses... When is the last time you saw a tax cut that showed up in YOUR paycheck... please don't mention Bush, because I'll be forced to bring up HIS version of economic stimulus... that $300 check that some of us received a few years ago.... and the fact that the fed govt sent out letters telling us that we may or may not receive it ahead of time... how many MILLIONS of dollars did THAT waste!! Paper, envelope, ink, postage, some govt schlub to mail it out.... really?

And, for the record, Obama walked into a s**tstorm... economically speaking...I'm not saying I like him, Hell, I didn't even vote for him... But, the fact is, he is not to blame for ALL of America's problems.... some of this was already in the works....

Source(s): Biologist
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

So when a tax cut puts spending money in the next pay check that is bad for the economy. Its better to raise taxes and take spending money away. I know I can always afford more when they take more money away. One it five American men is unemployed. What a successful plan from Obama. He is a big help with the economy. I had to go back to work after retiring. No its not the job I wanted but I do it.

• They can't but that is the whole point of Republican economics. This is not the first time. Read your history, the Republicans did exactly the same things in the late 1920's which created the Great Depression. That is exactly what they are trying to do now.

• 9 years ago

It has nothing to do with this "Republican economics" you speak of, but HOME economics. Learn to manage your own money. Welfare was never meant to be permanent.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Why should I work to pay to keep people on Welfare, Why don't you donate half your salary, Or welfare to a homeless person, Share your food stamps and give them a bed in your section 8 housing.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

How can small businesses survive when the government smothers them with regulation and takes more and more of their money?

• 9 years ago

I do. I have more money than I need. I don't know what choices you and others made in life, but I was sure to get an education and improve the quality of my life over time.

• ?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Agreed. Liberalism is the key!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.