Are free download games illegal?

Hey I wanted to get a download of Pajama Sam 2 Thunder and Lightning aren't so frightening but i don't know if it is illegal or not.

Favorite Answer

Short Version: If it's listed on a legit site as free, then it's free. If it's listed on a pirate site as free and it's being sold at a legit site, then it's not really free. It's just pirated and it's illegal, whether you want to resell it or not.

-----

Long version: Pirated games are obviously pirated, aka: released through a file sharing site, network or other person for the sole purpose of distributing it without needing to pay the companies that build the games.

People who pirate with the justification that "it's free" are ignorant at best because ultimately, the companies pay for it at the end. Costs associated:

- digital downloads use bandwidth, hosting space, commission of sales made, contract costs to put them up on DD sites, legal fees, the cost to pay the employees who made the games.

- physical purchases require package design, print and materials, all the printed material inside them, the cost of the discs, manuals and any other tidbits. The cost to product and distribute, the money paid to developers, the legal fees, the government fees, taxes, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Ultimately, pirates who justify it as "it's free, I'm not paying a cent because game companies already make a lot" don't understand that when you pirate great games, the companies that make them will continue to lose money in the long run and eventually stop producing great games.

Source(s): I was part of a very large pirate group in the 1990's, who grew up, got into the software dev industry and learned that a luxury is just a luxury and not a right. I ended up buying a lot of the games I pirated when I was a teenager when I learned the value of hard work and money earned.

Games

If it says it is free to download, then there should be no legal issues, unless you were downloading it illegally through another site.

If you download it off thepiratebay or Utorrent, it is illegal, but you never get caught, just the odd chance of catching a easy to remove Joker virus. If it says free to download, like WoT or WoW e.t.c, then no it is perfectly legal!

Source(s): Youtube

Yeah if you download a torrent or something it's illegal.

i'm not sure if it is illegal, but i'm sure the cops won't come to your house and arrest you or anything.

just download it for free

as long as the game and website are from the same people then it would be legal

no they are not if it says its free its free without breaking the law