Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 9 years ago

What are some good contemporary monologues for an African American Male Actor in his late 20s?

I am an actor auditioning for a play in two weeks and I am having the worst time finding a monologue. I am preferably looking for a monologue from a published play for a Black male in his mid twenties to early thirties. I am also looking for a monologue that shows some of the same characteristics for the character I am auditioning for. The character I am auditioning for is artistic, gentle, playful, kind, loves deeply and is confident, but has a hard time defending himself. Can anyone with some expertise help me?

Favorite Answer

I'd suggest you read plays by either August Wilson or Athol Fugard. Both men wrote lots of plays that would be perfect for audition pieces.

Don't do a monologue from a movie for a play audition it reeks of amateur status.

African American Male Actor

I don't know how long the monologue has to be, but you can probably get a good one out of almost any movie that Forrest Whitaker has done. He gets typecast as a gentle, somewhat introverted character (or so it seems),

I always like Digger Jone's monologue from "Glory" as done by Morgan Freeman.

Of course all of his Shawshank monologues were great also.