David
Lv 6
David asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 8 years ago

What causes red lightning?

Some people say red lightning doesn't exist but it does. One day when I was little, I was home alone and it was raining really hard. My mom told me to go stay with the neighbor so I did. I was sitting in their living room and then all of a sudden there was a massive bolt of red lightning, and the following it was very loud thunder that scared the **** out of me. I've never heard thunder like that before.

That was the only time I saw a red lightning bolt though.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If there is dust in the air, or rain, smog, smoke etc, it can make lightning appear various colours. The effect is best at long distances. If lighting strikes an object like a tree, up close you may see a red/orange flash of flame etc.

Thunder is the sound of lighting, it is a very loud band or crack, like a bomb exploding. When you are far away, multiple echoes make it sound like a drawn out rumbling. If you are too far away, you wont hear it of course, but you might still see the lightning, this is what people call 'heat lightning' (i have no idea why...), it is simply too far away to hear the thunder (perhaps 30km or more). In these cases often, this is when you see 'red lightning', from dust or smoke in the atmosphere. Up close it is still bluish/white, as it always is.

• 3 years ago

Red Lightning

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What causes red lightning?

Some people say red lightning doesn't exist but it does. One day when I was little, I was home alone and it was raining really hard. My mom told me to go stay with the neighbor so I did. I was sitting in their living room and then all of a sudden there was a massive bolt of red lightning, and...

Source(s): red lightning: https://tinyurl.im/Sn3vL
  • 4 years ago

I was outside watching a heavy snowfall with very large snowflakes at night when a dark velvety red lighting bolt lit up my whole yard followed by a drop low rumble of thunder.

One of the coolest weather events I ve seen.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

There is such thing as heat lightning which appears to be slightly red in color, but im not sure that is is comepletely red, and is not usually accompanied by thunder, so maybe you may have remembered wrong or this is a very special event

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

It's caused by the Temperature of lighting..

White, yellow, or blue lighting will be hotter.

Red will be about 4,000K, which is the coolest.

• 4 years ago

ive seen a red one too it the temperature like stars the color of lightning is determined by temperature blue is the hottest volt and the hottest star color

• 8 years ago

it has to do with how strong the bolt is . the tempature of the bolt

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.