How much money do Police Departments set aside in the Budget for Police Misconduct Lawsuits Every Year?

July 22, 2011

City Council wants hearing on lawsuits against police

An overlooked item from earlier this week: The Baltimore City Council wants to quiz Police Commissioner Frederick H. Bealefeld III about police misconduct lawsuits, the Baltimore Brew reported.

... The Baltimore City Council is calling for an informational hearing on the rising rate of police-involved lawsuits.

Council members say they discovered the trend during deliberations earlier this year on the already-approved 2012 budget, which includes an additional $1.9 million to settle police lawsuits.

“We want to ask the Commisioner to come over here to talk to us about it, to look and see if there is something that could be done, some training we could initiate, that could reduce these claims,” Councilwoman Mary Pat Clarke said, at the Council’s regular Monday meeting.

The Daily Record has been reporting on the apparent rising cost of police lawsuit settlements for some time, including a secretly-approved $200,000 settlement paid out to a violinist wrongly jailed on child sex abuse charges. Clarke co-sponsored this week's resolution, but Councilwoman Belinda Conaway had first spoken out in March. "It's got to stop," Conaway said. Settlements of such cases totaled more than $7.25 million from mid-2007 to mid-2010, the Daily Record reported at the time, and the city had already paid out $800,000 in the first two months of 2011.

Add at least another $100,000 to that total, with the city approving that amount to a 65-year-old man who said he was arrested, beaten and detained by officers who mistook his cigarette for drugs.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • John U
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

Geez I already told you the first time you asked this, PD's don't set aside any money, Cities have insurance for this type of thing. Notice a trend in your examples....

"with the city approving that amount"

"The Baltimore City Council"

"City Council wants hearing on lawsuits"

It is the City that gives tax revenue funds to a PD as an operating budget, if a PD gets sued, the City is the one that has to pay but again, the larger majority are insured for this type of thing.

• 8 years ago

They pay for insurance to cover those losses, and not specifically for "police misconduct", but for trash truck driver accidents and fire department mistakes and welfare department goofs. We live in a litigious society, and government has to waste millions of Dollars every year to settle the frivolous law suits brought by fringe members of society out to make buck. It is almost often cheaper to "settle' those suits, even of the public employee would be vindicated, because of the costs of defending the case. Quite often, it is the insurance carrier who encourages government to settle.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I would imagine quite a bit. I have no idea why police protect criminal officers like they do in my book they are all criminals just one more gang.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.