Electronics and hooking IPOD to OLD stereo :) HELP?

OK... I dont know if this is possible... I am pretty technically smart lets say... BUT by all means am looking to see if there is ANY ways... of hooking up an IPOD (i have 3g touch many are the same regardless of type or gen. just ipod :) ) any ways of hooking this to PLAY through an OLD stereo. I am technical, but not with stereos lol. It is old, but doesnt have dials, it is digital, but still old.

Some infor about stereo is... It hooks to 4 speakers, has a box in back that says across left to right> PHONO, VID1, VID2, TAPE1, TAPE2... I believe those are useless towards ipod connection... the FRONT has an "PHONES" input hole. but is big, not head phone size, more like microphone size whole..... AND that is IT.... so basically I gues is there any way of hooking an Ipod to a microphone input..... ?

anybody has AIM willing to chat and help me, by all means let me know! my email is Las0194@aol.com.... I can possibly get pics....

I dont know if this helps but details on the sterio, says MCS Series, 3265 Digital Synthesized Reciever

• jonal

Don't put the output of the ipod into a microphone or phono input of an amplifier. You'll blow them.

Mic and phono inputs are very sensitive and accept only very low signal strengths..

To do it you need a signal attenuator. Ask in your local audio store.

You really ought to match the input impedance and input capacitance as well but for just getting a sound it'll work OK -ish without it.

To play an iPOD or other device through the amplifier use the tape or video inputs and ignore the impedance mismatch.......

Turn the volume control on the amp to zero and switch off the amp.

Take a lead from the headphone output of the iPOD into the tape 1 or tape 2 input of the amp, which BTW is very likely not digital.

100:1 bet it's an analogue amplifier. It might say digital somewhere on it and even have a DAC (digital to analogue converter) built in but it'll be an analogue amplifier.

Some headphones are marked digital, but headphones are all analogue devices, even electrostatic ones...

Tape 1 IN or tape 2 IN are what you need to hook in to.

If it doesn't have inputs for the tape, only tape OUT, use the VID 1 or VID 2 inputs.

You will need a lead with 3.5mm stereo to 2 phono RCA plugs ( that does not mean plug them into the phono input).

Here is a pic of one showing the two ends

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=3.5... . . .

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/298291589/3_5mm_J... . . .

Get them from supermarkets and audio / electrical / TV stores.

Plug headphones into the 'Phones' socket on the front of the amp, if necessary using a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter. That 6.3mm is the proper size professional phone stuff, not the mini jacks now commonly used.

Switch on the amp

If there is a REC VOL...recording volume...knob, turn it to zero.

Select tape 1 or tape 2, VID 1 or VID 2 on the front switches as appropriate.

Select a track from the iPOD or other device and play it.

Turn up the volume control on the amp to around 3 - 4 and adjust further it later.

Turn up the recording volume knob till the sound is OK.

If there is no record volume knob, start with the normal volume control at zero and turn it up slowly till the sound is OK.

EDIT...

Do NOT use the phono input without an attenuator!! You'll blow it.

Phones means phones. It is NOT a microphone input.

Typical old stereo gear Q...much better quality of sound and construction than most of today's music center stuff

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ao...

Source(s): Years of home audio. Repairs and rebuilds, amps, recorders, turtntables etc.
  • Kon

If theres a microphone input for the stereo with a 1/4 inch socket (I assume its the PHONO socket on yours) then you'll need 2 things:

1. An adapter to convert between a 3.5mm jack and a 1/4 inch jack. You can buy these in most shops that sell electric guitars.

2. A 3.5mm cable. This has a 3.5mm jack on both ends (earphones would have it on one end).

Connect the adapter to one end of the cable and the ipod to the other. Then plug it into your stereo and switch the mode on your stereo to PHONO (could be different on yours).

That should do the trick.

Make sure the cable is the same at both ends (by the way 3.5mm is the size of normal earphone connections, so that should help). Also that the adapter is the right one! You can get stereo or mono adapters, but if the input of your machine is only meant for mono there's no advantage in having a stereo adapter.

Either one of the tape or video inputs. Won't work on phono or tape/video outputs.

The one marked phones on the front is for headphones.

You need a 1/8' stereo to 2 RCA cable. Find at any electronics store.

I don't know about all the techincal stuff but my car has only a tape player so I got a tape adapter thing and hooked it into the headphones spot in my iPhone and it plays through the car stereo. It looks like a tape with a cord connected to it. I got it at Radioshack for about $20.

Phono Input Attenuator

the subject isn't the ipod or the twine. it is the "older panasonic stereo". reckoning on what advantageous factors that unit has, this could be extremely elementary or extremely no longer elementary. Please edit your question and supply a kind extensive kind for the Panasonic, so that it is going to look it up.