Thomas asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 10 years ago

Are the JABBAWOCKEEZ an overhyped dance crew? Are the masks just a gimmick?

I mean don't get me wrong I think they are good dancers but I've seen other dance crews who are just as good if not better. It seems as though they get a lot of attention because they wear masks and gloves while performing which makes them stand out from other dancers. But seriously, if you took off their masks and saw their faces while they danced, wouldn't they just be another group of dancers? Their dance moves don't seem to complex when you watch them (although the choreography they put together is usually well done). And their moves aren't really anything out of the ordinary.

So do you think that the Jabbawockeez would they be as popular if they didn't wear the masks and gloves while dancing?

Favorite Answer

Q: Are the JABBAWOCKEEZ an overhyped dance crew?

A: Absolutly not. All of their hype is well earned and deserved. Those guys are poets.

Q: Are the masks just a gimmick?

A: Of coarse they are a gimmick. But it's a gimmick that couldn't work for just anybody. Let me phrase that another way; they make the gimmick work, the gimmick doesn't make them. Their unique style makes them emotionless "storytellers" and the mask only help hide that illusion; it would still work without the mask. They are so good at their craft that you can always tell what emotion you are supposed to be feeling in the story, at any given time, because of their BODY LANGUAGE. For example, imagine acting out a play or trying to tell someone there's a bomb in your pocket without words or a face and then maybe you will see my aurgument.

Q: Do you think that the Jabbawockeez would they be as popular if they didn't wear the masks and gloves while dancing?

A: No, they wouldn't, but please, don't misunderstand me. I think that their uniquely-original style of dance already makes them great and a well-rounded dance crew, even with their mask off. However, the mask make them more memorable and more relatable. What I mean by relatable is, you become unable to distiguish between age, ethnicity, gender, ect., and that makes them have a much larger appeal.

On a personal note, I want to add that I think it's pointless to compare the JabbaWockeez to other crews and say that the other crew is better. The comparison was never fair to begin with because the styles are different. Yes, the Wockeez don't do as many stunts as "Quest Crew-type" crews, but nobody tells a story or even dances with as much precision and detail as the JabbaWockeez either. Let's just say that they are all good be happy that we are able to witness such grat talent! :o)

Source(s): I am the source...
  • ?

Jabbawockeez Without Masks

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I mean don't get me wrong I think they are good dancers but I've seen other dance crews who are just as good if not better. It seems as though they get a lot of attention because they wear masks and gloves while performing which makes them stand out from other dancers. But seriously, if...

Source(s): jabbawockeez overhyped dance crew masks gimmick: https://tr.im/ZZ0z6

To be honest, NO, I don't think they would have been AS popular or as highly praised if they didn't have the masks. It's because that was something that made them stand out. There are so many dance crews that could dance just as well, but it's the icon that got people's attention.

Don't get me wrong, though. They would still be majorly popular.

I believe that they are overpraised (which IMO is fitting) because ever since they claimed the victory on ABDC 1, they practically redefined hip hop and set a pretty big influence over the street dance community.

I like Jabba and they are always entertaining C:

• Bonnie

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/wv2LC

JabbaWockeeZ! It could not have been any other way. I could watch them over and over again. Technique, creativity and heart...they are DEFINITELY the best. I really need a black JabbaWockeeZ shirt!

No there not. They overall had the best dancing to me. Theyre very creative at what the do and the only other group that I think has a chance agaist them is I aM mE