Are bigger campers better?

My wife and I looked at some small campers (12 - 15 ft) this weekend.

Here's my point of view. If you're going camping, why do people "need" these big 32ft, slide-out monsters? The only camping we have ever done is tenting so I have a pretty basic view of the subject.

It seems like a lot people start out small and then get something bigger.

I'm torn on campers anyway. You know the old saying, "The 2 best days with a camper are the day you buy it and the day you sell it."

Any advice would be great.

Favorite Answer

Actually, most people are downsizing their campers these days due to the cost of gas. Compact campers under 2500 lbs that can be towed with a regular sedan or light truck are in high demand and people can't give away the big behemoths any more. You can expect to pay twice as much for a small camper as for a large one.

After tenting and backpacking for decades we decided now that we turned 60 we deserved a little more comfort and got a compact trailer. We bought a nice used 16 footer last Fall ( a 2006 Sun Valley Road Runner) and we just love it. It has everything you need: beds for 6 (convertible dinette that seats 4, fold-out couch and two drop down bunks), gas range, dual fuel fridge (propane or electric), sink, hot and cold running water, flushing toilet and shower, heat and AC and tons of lighting plus a pull out awning on the side. Plus it only weighs 2200 lbs and we can tow it with our 4 liter Ranger pickup. It doesn't feel cramped at all since it has good ceiling height and tons of windows, And we get 16 to 18 mpg travelling with it. I can't imagine needing a larger trailer than this one, unless you had like 4 kids or more

We also looked at Forest River R-Pods, which are really neat compact lightweight trailers similarly equipped. New they are around $9000 to $11,000 and not a whole lot less used. We got a super deal on the Road Runner for around $4000. I think since you are used to camping you will find the smalller trailers quite a luxury like we do, and not crave anything bigger. We still like tenting sometimes, but it is hard to beat the pleasure of having a dry roof over your head with room to stand and take a hot shower or cook a meal when the weather turns nasty, And I love having the toilet and the refrigerator. It's our little cottage on wheels.

• Mrbill

I think campers are great. Have owned many sizes and types. From my wife and I only to family and another family camping. We own a 20 foot camper with drop down bed on each end. Lite weight and easy to pull. The only problem is security on each end. Snap the cover and you are in. Has everything our 5th wheel camper has. Including shower, heat and great AC. For a one night use it is easy to pull and comfortable. Wife and 2 kids are very comfortable using it. Have done a 4 day weekend and it was nice. Moor room would have been nice, but we were camping at a shooting event.

The 5th wheel has a room over the tongue and has a queen bed. Table and sofa makes into beds as well. Large bath room and nice large shower. No matter what type you get, make sure it has a awning. Good investment and can make life comfortable.

Depends on your use, having a place to sleep, shower and sh**. V comfortable place with nice chair, sofa and entertainment center.

Suggest this, contact a camp ground in your area. Ask to rent a camper on site for a weekend. See the things you like or not like. If you visit a camper sales place, ask them to place a used camper for you and try it. place a pad and write every thing you like or not like about the camper. Do this till you know what you like.

Now what do you drive? Will it pull the camper you want? Will you place it at a camp for the summer? if so have someone move it for you.

Have never said, I wish this camper was smaller, but have said, I wish we had more room. You plan for the week, or weekend and have back up for the all rain vacation.

good luck.

I've looked at RVs and campers. No matter how I slice it, the economics never added up.

It's always cheaper to rent an RV for a week each year than it is to own, store, insure it.

I've love a camper or small RV, but I'm just too cheap to spring for one.

I like my MSR Hubba Hubba. It cost $300. It weighs 4 pounds. I think that it is much easier to carry into the wilderness than a thirty-two-foot camper.

My brother bought a forty-foot house on wheels, drove in into the hills of Virginia, parked it on seven acres of scrub woodland where there is no cell phone access, then built a shed around it with a hot tub and kitchen. When he dies, his estate is going to be worth the value of seven acres of scrub woodland minus the cost to tear-down a shed and remove a forty-foot trailer to the nearest landfill. In other words, not enough for cremation and spreading the ashes.

i think that it does not matter how big a camper is, because at the end of the day it is still a camper

and btw i like the old saying!

Source(s): me
  • chris

It all about the ability to take your stuff with you that you like and bring comfort no matter where you go. George Carlin gave an excellent lecture on stuff I suggest you watch it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

Youtube thumbnail