Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

Why Do Republicans care about the rich tax cuts over sick old people?

If the Republicans wont take tax increases, the President will have to take money away from Medicare. Seriously now Cons, how inhumane can you be? You guys will rather have tax cuts for the rich instead of funding Medicare for old people, seriously now come on! This makes me sick!

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Bullshit! The GOP is not trying to take away Medicare and try to remember that the so called "rich" are typically small businesses and employers.

Do you want the rich to stop expanding, lay off employees, not hire new employees, raise prices for consumers or go out of business? That's what will happen with tax increases!

Seriously, naive people like you that rant and have no facts or information make me sick! Read history. Look at what happens when taxes are increased - revenues compared to GDP do NOT increase when rates are increased. Raising taxes hurts the economy.

Source(s): In my opinion, Barry is dangerous
  • 10 years ago

It should make you sick, because it is disgusting. However, we do have to acknowledge that republicans believe what they're doing is right. Even though the logic is completely wrong, and based on assumptions made in previous centuries, the GOP believe that tax cuts for the rich give the rich more money, and they assume that they will take that money and make jobs. More jobs and more money they think will equal more healthcare and coverage.

Their logic is off many places, but very much so in that they call millionaires and billionaires 'job-makers'. They have this extremely old-fashioned, gospel of wealth mind set thinking that rich people know how to handle the economy and get it off its feet.They are wrong because more times than not, this won't happen. And, also in a time of recession, it's up to the government, not rich people, to fix the problem. It's a coutry wide effort, and it's simply not fair to put a bigger burden on the middle class or an 80 year old social security beneficiary than a billionaire corporate jet owner.

• LOL
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Actually I would like to see several "Departments" eliminated, especially the Dept. of Homeland Security. I would also like to see the U.S. get out of the wars/occupations, close a lot of military bases on foreign soil, and end all foreign aid. On the revenue side I would like to see some protective tariffs for additional revenue and to even the playing field for American workers, keep more money in the U.S. and thereby creating a broader tax base for even more revenue.

As for higher taxes on the top 1%, I would like the Republicans to give the Democrats the go ahead. But I think you would be disappointed when the Democrats decide they really don't want to tax their top contributors after all. As long as they can keep people thinking it's only the Republicans stopping them from raising taxes on the top 1% they look pretty good and still get to please their top contributors, but I just can't see Obama telling his rich supporters at Goldman Sachs and GE that he wants them to pay more taxes. Not likely!

• 10 years ago

Because they are stupid.

It seems that a lot of Americans are so wrapped in an image of the devil as a Halloween character with a red jump suit and horns, that they fail to recognise the devil in their midst.

Money is like a drug. Having it just makes you want more and more and MORE AND MORE!!

In good people, money is used to make good things, to start up businesses, to enable others to profit from your good fortune, and it's what makes everyone eat and drive cars, rather than sit in a desert watching your last camel die of thirst.

But it can be intoxicating, and there are those with money who just want to use it to have more, even if it sucks the goodness from all around them in their quest for making their Aladdin's cave bigger than their neighbour's. These folk will stop at nothing to use their money to buy politicians, the police even, so that there is nothing left for anyone else. In order to finance a programme of half-decent public works, a Government must make money up and hope the market traders don't notice.

Except, the market traders have woken up, and have now recognised those bonds for the tickertape they are, and Government is stuffed, along with all those who rely on Government for their protection.

We now have a choice. Either we get our democratic institutions (in the US that means Democrat as much as Republican) in order and out of the pockets of the devil-besotted oligarchs and working class consumers alike. It means taking them on, and taking away their money until they have got over their Cold Turkey and can use it responsibly.

The alternative is to allow the general public to give up on the conventional parties of democracy and liberty, and in desperation put their trust in the likes of Anders Breivik, Adolf Hitler, Lenin, Mao Zedong or Ayatollah Khomeni.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

That tax money doesn't go to the old people who are sick, it goes to young people who sit on their butts all day instead of work. Those people get the money over the sick old people. And all the young, hard working college students, single parents, working elderly people...everyone...are being taxed not just wealthy people. Here's why taxing the sh*t out of people doesnt work... because if people know they will be fed and sheltered and get transportation no matter if they work or not, then they will never want to work, and all the people who work their asses off will have no desire to work if they know their money is going to people who do nothing. The first colonies that came to the Americas starved to death because they all shared the wealth. LITERALLY starved to death... no one had the desire to work (harvest/hunt) hard because everyone shared the profits until John Smith told them "if you dont work, you dont eat". then, like magic, people started working and became productive members of society. If you are sick, disabled, looking for a job, a child, an adult who works but cant pay the bills, or an elderly person, then you should get government help....but this is not the case thats why they wont even make people take drug tests to get government money. the soviet union, china a few decades ago, and greece all had very heavy taxes...look at the history of their economy...thats where we are headed!

go ahead and dislike this... more people would agree with me but they are all sleeping because like me, they WORK in the morning...

• 10 years ago

Our taxes don't go towards medicare. The Federal Reserve prints money, then that money goes to medicare. So medicare is already payed for. Our taxes are going to the Federal Reserve, which is a private bank. If we got rid of the Federal Reserve, and restored sound money, we wouldn't have a need for medicare as people could afford health care.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

If the republicans do tax the rich, the Congress will have to take money away from Medicare.

This "little bit" Obama wants to tax isn't going to fix Medicare. It will still be insolvent in around 7 years. You're hysterical over a lie. Stop it.

• 10 years ago

You must understand the Laffer curve.

If you are to the right of the Laffer maxima then:

Tax cuts create more jobs, that create more revenues, that keep programs like Medicare & Social Security solvent.

It's not a matter of not being humane, it's a matter of not being idiotic.

More taxes, fewer jobs, less revenues - and that means NO money to fund ANYTHING.

The MORE deficit spending we do - the more of our tax revenues go to paying interest on the debt.

The Liberal fiscal fantasyland mentality drives me nuts!

You beat the drum of compassion without a clue as to the cost or methodology of making it happen.

Compare these two guys - Both are Democrats. One is an idiot.

Kennedy explains Reaganomics & the Laffer Curve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEdXrfIMdiU

Obama says he would raise tax rates even if it decreases revenues just to keep it fair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpSDBu35K-8

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

They take pride in not caring. In fact, they make fun of Democrats by calling them "bleeding heart liberals." In this world there are all kinds of people. Some like to help the poor and others want to step on them. Republicans are the latter kind.

• 10 years ago

Republicans care about sick old people. I remember a lot of talk about Granny being killed by death panels during the health care debate.

Oh...you mean they only worry about Granny when it's politically convenient? Yeah, you're probably right, but I'm sure that's not unique to Republicans.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.