Are Yahoo and Google images public domain?

If I use some of these images in my book , can I copyright them along with the text?

Favorite Answer

In general, Yahoo and Google images (which I assume to mean images that appear in Yahoo or Google or appear after a search) are NOT in the public domain. If they are licensed under the Creative Commons, you will be able to use them more freely, but you still need to comply with the Creative Commons (CC) license terms, such as attribution for CC-BY, non-commercial use for CC-BY-NC, etc.)

Images are protected by copyright,and the creators of such images retain their copyright though you may use the photos in your own creation.The only images that might be in the public domain are old paintings (e.g. Mona Lisa) but NOT a PHOTO of the Mona Lisa.

Copyright subsists in a work for the lifetime of the author plus 50 to 70 years (depending on the country) after the author's death. A photograph taken by someone who died more than 70 years ago may be deemed to be in the public domain.

There are many images online that are available for free (links below), but these come with conditions which may include, among others:

1) You must include attribution or a link to the photographer's website;

2) You may not use images in commercial works, i.e. works you are selling or earning money from; and

3) You may not provide the images to others, i.e. they must obtain the images from the website of origin.

I've used freely available images on my own website, and you may want to see how I complied with the conditions http://www.cattorresv.com/2011/07/writing-tips-and...

If you are creating work you intend to sell or earn money from, I suggest to do one or combinations of the following:

1. Use pre-existing images but comply with their owner's conditions, including obtaining licenses, probably for a fee, for use in commercial work;

2. Create your own images by taking your own photos or creating illustrations;

3. Hire a photographer or illustrator and have them assign their copyright to you; and

4. Same as #2 but instead of having them assign their copyright (for which they may charge more), ask for a license to use their images as you require (this may result in lower license fees but entitle the copyright owner to royalties from your sales as you both agree on).

If you need more information, you might want to post a question on my new site http://www.copyrightadviceforwriters.com/