How would I contact a band in order to get permission to use their song in a music video?

I'm making a video for a school project and would really like to get permission from the band first before I publish the video to Youtube. Any idea how I might contact the band Five for Fighting and how fast they'd get back to me? I went to their website and there's a link to Steve Smith under "contacts" and I'm assuming he's the head of management or something, so would he be the person I'd contact, or do I need to find another person to ask? Help muchhhh appreciated

Well the thing I was wondering about was actually publishing it to Youtube. Do I need permission then?

Favorite Answer

You can contact John Ondrasik...he IS Five For Fighting...at his email address. Just go to the official Five For Fighting website and click on Email John in the upper right corner. John reads all his email himself and if I know him...and I do...he'll answer back. You can also email John's record company manager at Aware Records...that would be Steve Smith.

You really don't need permission to use John's songs for a school project. People use his music all the time for their videos...there are hundreds of them on YouTube. As long as you don't do it for personal/financial gain, you'll be OK. But, if you want peace of mind, by all means email John!

Source(s): HUGE Five For Fighting fan! I have my own fan site, Five For Fighting Fan Central, and know John personally. I've also connected with Steve Smith many times.

You honestly don't. Its a school project, not a million dollar movie. Do you know how many other kids have probably used that same song in THEIR projects. You don't need permission. Five for fighting is NOT going to care.

Source(s): I used to make school projects involving music and videos all of the time.
  • Scott

You can't post copyrighted material to YouTube unless you're the copyright holder or have "express written permission". Read the terms and conditions.

Steve Smith? sounds like a generic name you would see on a fake business card...

You really wouldn't contact the band themselves lol but at the end of the video you should give that band credit...actually copyright rules, you have to give credit if its on youtube.

I don't think you need to get permission because you're not making a profit from it. Just include proper credit/copyright info and you should be fine.