Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 9 years ago

Vegetarian diet-- needs nutrition!?

Im going veggie. How do I get B12 and protein and other food I need from meat? Oh by the way I have a serious heart defect/condition so what should I do? I don't want to not be a vegetarian but if I must because of my heart and its not safe I guess I wont be. Im also a ballet dancer and don't eat a lot. Is this safe to have a heart thing and be a dancer? Is there something else I can eat instead of meat? Or can I just eat a little barly any, just to like live and do the things I love and stuff? btw im 13

Favorite Answer

Because of your serious heart defect, I don't think it would be very smart to take nutrition advice from yahoo answers. Honestly, the best thing to do is to ask your parents to schedule you an appointment with the family doctor, then he/she can refer you to a pediatric nutritionist. The only advice I would give you is yes, you can safely go veggie, if you are extremely careful and follow a doctor's plan. If done right, vegetarianism/veganism can actually reverse many conditions people think to be permanent. See Neal Barnard's book "Eat Right, Live Longer", or Joel Fuhrman's "Eat to Live"

• ?

I would suggest talking to your doctor about this, make sure it's a good idea in your condition. If the doctor thinks it's good, ask him/her to refer you to a nutritionist. And since you're both extremely young and an aspiring athlete, I wouldn't recommend cutting out meat personally. Talk to your doctor about whether it's safe to practice for dancing as well.

Look for meat substitutes such as: tofu and faux meats, lentils, also things like quinoa which is a grain that also has complete protein. You need to take a lot of precautions to eat vegetarian, it's not a decision to be taken lightly. Honestly it might be better, if you're doing this out of worry about your heart condition, to just cut out red meats (beef, pork) instead, since they're much fattier than white meats (chicken, fish), and it's still possible to eat junk food and very unhealthy food on a vegetarian diet.

Don't make any major dietary changes without consulting your doctor, and since you're 13 discussing it with your parents -presumably you won't be buying your own food, so you'll need them to be on board.

Talk to your parents AND your doctor. No, you can't live on barly.

B12 is a bacteria. Contrary to popular opinion, most meat is devoid of b12 due to the heavy use of antibiotics. I use Nutritional Yeast. Not Brewer's Yeast. It's bitter and icky.

Beans, whole grains, tofu and seitan are great sources of protein.