Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Why do some Religions make "Membership" a Requirement for Salvation?

There are so many churches to choose from! Why is it some of these churches have made it a requirement for their members to be a baptized, and "loyal" member???

Is there ANY-WHERE in the Bible, that membership and loyalty to a "Legal Organization" is a requirement for salvation?

There is one church that makes it clear, if you should join them, you must be loyal to their doctrines, teachings, and have a deep respect for their leaders.

If you question their teachings, you will be removed by their congregational "police force" the "elders", and then thrown outside of their church for insubordination.

WHY do these sects make Membership a "spiritual requirement" that is tied into our salvation?

why?

Update:

Yes, there are many examples in their literature that point specifically at their "organization: as the only way to gain "salvation" with God...ONLY through them. This is a documented fact, that is not worthy of our effort to publish a link here.

If a link identifying this sect is placed here at Yahoo Answers, this ever-present membership "double-teams" to have those offensive, and true Questions, removed, or deleted.

This is also proof of how they control their members from the inside of their organization as well, and they are here, causing the spread of more lies, when they are told by their leaders to "Not be on chat-rooms, or websites that feature scriptural beliefs contrary to those of the Borganization"

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Despite the number of denominations, there are very few that require baptism and loyalty to the organisation as proof (or a clear indication) of being in line for salvation. The majority that encourage baptism never say your salvation depends on getting baptised, let alone being loyal to their organisation / denomination. The Bible is clear that it is only receiving the grace of God after putting total faith in what Jesus accomplished at Calvary that makes one a member of Christ's Church, which is His spiritual body. It is the indwelling of God's Holy Spirit in the believer that is the guarantee of the glory that is to come:

"And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession - to the praise of his glory." (Ephesians 1:13-14)

I only know of one denomination that tells 99.9% of its members that they cannot expect to have this seal, the guarantee of the Holy Spirit. They also insist that before getting baptised, members must agree to be identified with their organisation. They say this organisation is 'spirit led' (notice the lower case in 'spirit'?) but that most of the leaders are anointed with this spirit. In other words, some of the Chiefs have this guarantee that they belong to Christ, but none of the Indians do. They can only hope to be saved eventually if they show enough loyalty to the leaders of this organisation and do lots of things for at least 1,000 years into the future.

This is not so much about money (though that comes into it too). It is about the abuse of spiritual power. I think Jesus' words in Matthew 24:48-51 apply.

Edit: As someone asked for proof of the claim, here it is. I wasn't going to name this group, but it will be obvious from the organisation's publication details. This is from the June 1, 1985 Watchtower. detailing the two vows baptismal candidates must assent to before getting baptised:

"On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?"

This change may have been made primarily due to legal issues. The society needed to be able to legally make statements like the following when action was taken against them by JWs who left the organisation: (this is from an actual letter, and would be wording used in many letters):

"From the date of your baptism and your joining the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses, you professed the Christian faith, agreed to adhere to the doctrine of Jehovah's Witnesses and agreed to submit to the rules and procedures of the ecclesiastical government of Jehovah's Witnesses."

• Login to reply the answers
  • Jo
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

In order to get into God's heaven, you have to go by his rules. Apparently you don't have a clue about that. The Old Testament Law was based on works. They couldn't save you but made you aware of the sins you were committing so you could offer sacrifices for them. When God sent Jesus to be the ultimate sacrifice, it nullified having to do"works". If you can borrow a bible somewhere, see if you can find Ephesians 2:8,9 that tells you that by grace are you saved; not by works, lest any man should boast. Then read the whole book of Galatians, where there were some people trying to mix the works of the law as part of salvation, just as you are doing; but the author is telling the people not to listen to that false teaching. Jesus Christ did it all so we don't have to. It doesn't matter how much contributions a person, church or organization makes, it doesn't add up to salvation. See, your boasting is what Ephesians 2:9 was talking about eliminating.

• 9 years ago

Baptism is a requirement for a testimony and confession, by a commissioned man of God that you as a Christian believe the Lord Jesus Christ died and rose from the dead for the remission of your sins. Salvation can't be received by joining a church. You where saved at calvary and simply accept that salvation this day see? And when your loyalty to God, not the church, but God. You receive the Holy Ghost see?

Source(s): Christian
  • 9 years ago

I've had this same concern, but you took it too far!

First, who really cares! Your not there to make sure you agree with their traditions ONLY their beliefs!

Why not just accept it, your salvation won't be affected!

Next... What church will reject you for challenging their beliefs? Excommunication isn't that easy to achieve! (sarcasm) Any church that would do that would be committing a direct sin against what God calls a church to do! Membership is not required for salvation! Do you know how I know? IT'S NOT BIBLICAL! TEST EVERYTHING WITH THE BIBLE AND YOU CAN'T GO WRONG!

I learned I had to pick my battles! Don't sweat the small stuff! I can speak for Christian churches in the fact that their are many different traditions among Christians but the beliefs are the same!

I'd be happy to share more if you are interested. Feel free to email me!

Source(s): Christian
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • tagboy
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Study main stream religions and you find three things in common money, power and control. many can see this and many more can't. They even tell you that you can't question authority. That's a no brainier something is wrong with this. Christians seem to want to talk about heaven and hell everything to do with after death which everyone knows there just isn't any data but what they tell you. We chose to study what we see, hear Religions are losing because faith is one thing and archeological and scientific events are proving them wrong.

• A mere statement is not proof of anything.

You have to be more specific and document the statement that a religion makes membership a requirement for salvation.

Facts are necessary.

Otherwise you have just posted an assumption and an assertion, not a fact.

As for baptism, that is clearly mentioned in the New Testament as a Christian practice.

***Now you reveal this "question" to really be a cowardly rant aimed at Jehovah's Witnesses.

And you continue to provide no proof at all for the allegations, just useless assertions.

Such rants go nowhere and convince no one, because they are all biased and prejudiced.

Source(s): Common sense
  • 9 years ago

The same reason magazines what people to get a subscription and not buy the magazine at full cost off the shelf

=

They don't know that if you make people subscribe to their magazine they will not read it

Only if they pay full price for the $9.99 magazine

The church wants to make people come to church so they can fall asleep while sitting there listing to how they are going to hell and how they have to give 10% of what they make

+

See the comparison it just don't make any penny of cents

• 9 years ago

If I am an astute businessman owner of ABC Corp, I will definitely institute a plan,

All 7million members should go out and distribute leaflets, free of charge. They are my sales and advertising people. However the salemen should purchase the leftlet from my business. then I in return print tons of materials which is the MAIN SOURCE of my business revenue. Think of the 7million purchasing my printing materials. It will guarantee my net profit, thus will flow to my bonus and dividends and lastly, it will guarantee my lifetime's secured income of wealth and comfort. In addition, once in a while, I will expand/constrict the meaning of my business plan, thus ends with another massive printing materials to distribute.........so on

Is that wonderful...

• 9 years ago

It's because some organizations think their organization is the only one endorsed or led by God. It's the only one that represents authentic Christianity. So to reject the organization is to reject Christianity in their view. That's why they think you must become a member of their organization. Joining their organization is the same thing as joining Christ, or embracing Christ.

• Carl
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

.... And the Lord was adding *to their number day by day those who were being saved. Acts 2:47

It is the Lord who adds those who are saved to the Church, Scripture never says that one has to be a part of the Church to be saved and NEVER do the Scriptures teach you have to be a member of a denomination to be saved.

The body (of Christ) is One body, not a denomination or made up of denominations, is the body of Christ divided?

Eph 4:4 There is ONE BODY, and one Spirit, even as you are called in one hope of your calling;

Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Eph 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Emphasis mine.

Anybody who does not hold to this is in error, that they say that their group is the one body points to GROSS ERROR.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.