260gtx GPU (graphics card) issue (read for details)?

lately i have been having some issues with my MSI N260GTX graphics card

namely the "driver stopped responding and recovered" issue as well as the occasional blue screen (when the driver does not recover)

i have encountered the blue screen and driver issue most often when running sid meiers pirates! as well as having occasional corrupted graphics and lockups in hitman: Bloodmoney

I have had the card overclocked before, but never by much and once i ran into issues i set it back to stock speeds

but even at 100% fan speed i have a hard time keeping it below 60 degrees Celsius under load (where i can usually keep it at 60c with only 50-60% fan speed)

I have tried cleaning the dust out of the card iteself, switching PCI slots, removing other PCI devices (in case it was a power issue), installing the latest drivers (and beta drivers) and reverting back to the last known stable driver version.

so far after taking these steps I have not noticed any issues outside of the above mentioned games (but i have not done any extensive testing outside of this)

my question is do you think this is a software or a hardware problem?

have any of you run into similar issues like this? and more importantly have you managed to fix it without RMAing the card? (i can't since it is second hand)

the card itself has served me well for the last year or so

anyway best answer will of course go to the one who gives the most relevant or useful info so please read all of the above details given

Favorite Answer

According to your description, I'd say it's definitely driver-related. Flaky drivers tend to stop working and recover, exactly like you mention. In any case, it's always best to run Driver Sweeper immediately after uninstalling a card's drivers. Next time, run Driver Sweeper after each time you uninstall. Uninstall the drivers, restart, then run Driver Sweeper. This is to ensure that left over data files from previous drivers don't conflict with new drivers. The latest nVidia drivers is ForceWare 275.50. If you haven't done so, download & install them. No issues with the latest 275.50 on my GTX 470.

http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/ Driver Sweeper

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-u... ForceWare 275.50

You may need to revert to older drivers. Newest releases tend to cater to the 400-500 series and add nothing more for the older cards.All previous drivers for the card are released within it.

I have a GTX 275 OC and still use the 192 drivers, one of the last official drivers for the card. Newer drivers mess up my resolution, make some games run worse.

The GTX 260 remains effective adequate to handle maximum of immediately's video games. you in all threat won't have the flexibility to play them at an entire 1080p decision, so which you will in all threat would desire to place up with 1680x1050 res and play them on medium settings. even nevertheless in case you have funds to spend then i could advise the two the Radeon 6850 or the Nvidia Geforce GTX 460. Or get a Radeon 6870. I upgraded from a GTX 260 to a Radeon 5850, and looking out back, I in all threat ought to have waited somewhat longer and have been given a lots larger end card quite. The overall performance enhance replaced into quite insignificant. collectively as a 33% enhance in overall performance sounds good on paper, in real existence that 33% wasn't very considerable.