Sadie asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 9 years ago

Suggestions/advice for college student health insurance plan please?

Hello, I'm entering my 2nd year of an American college in MA and my school has sent me the option to take up the school's health insurance plan with the company "Gallagher Koster" (I am allowed to waiver it). It is a "Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan underwritten by HPHC Insurance Company, Inc (Harvard Pilgrim Health Care)". It will cost $1989 annually.

My question is: should I take up this plan, or look for another one online? Do you have any suggestions? Are there better priced ones out there that are competetive to this one?

Last year, I opted for this plan and there were no problems, I only ever got a prescription for an eye cream. I am a full-time student, I am not active in sports, outdoorsy, or drive a car. Btw I am an American citizen (not international).

School plan highlights:

Highlights of the Coverage and Services offered by Gallagher Koster are:

 Up to a $100,000 per each Injury or Sickness Maximum Benefit for Covered Medical

Expenses.

 $100 deductible Per Insured Person, Per Policy Year for Preferred Providers and $200

deductible Per Insured Person, Per Policy Year for Out-of-Network providers The

Preferred Providers for this plan are the HPHC Insurance Company Network in MA,

ME and NH, and the United Healthcare Options PPO in all other areas.

 Covered Medical Expenses for Preferred Providers are payable at 90% of Preferred

Allowance and Out-of-Network benefits are payable at 70% of Usual and Customary

charges (all benefits are subject to satisfaction of the deductible, specific benefit

limitations, maximums and copays as described in the policy).

 Prescription Drug Benefits: $10 copay for Tier 1 / $25 copay for Tier 2 /$45 copay for

Tier 3 up to a 31-day supply per prescription. $2000 maximum per policy year.

Prescriptions must be filled at a UnitedHealthcare Network Pharmacy.

 Coverage available for eligible dependents.

 Scholastic Emergency Services – Domestic Students are covered when 100 miles or

more away from their campus or home address. International Students are covered

worldwide except in their home country.

BTW I FORGOT TO MENTION: I am an American citizen, but my parents are not, so I can't share a plan with them or anything like that.

I'm 19 years old.

Favorite Answer

I have a daughter in college, and I am a seasoned health insurance broker. Take this plan. It isn't the best health coverage I've ever seen, but Harvard Health is a good company. $100K is not a ton of money in the world of health care, but this is a plan that only costs $165 a month...so my advice is, TAKE IT.

You will not find anything online. There are a lot of scams out there...companies that claim to give you great health care coverage for very little money. They aren't really health insurance, just 'health discount plans' and trust me, they are terrible.

Good health insurance at an affordable cost is very hard to find. And it doesn't matter that you aren't active in sports, or "outdoorsy"...catastrophic illness can happen to anyone, any time. You could hit by a drunk driver, develop leukemia, or a million other things. Don't be like so many other young people and assume that you just because of your age, nothing bad will happen to you.

This plan costs approx.$38 a week. It may sound like a lot, but its actually not. And I'm sure the college did some research before they offered this to students.

One final question: I'm assuming you are under the age of 26. Why can't you stay on your parents health insurance? Obama raised the age for dependent coverage. Ask your mom or dad; whoever has the better insurance plan. If they are self employed, or dont' have health insurance, then you basically have no choice.

Don't ever NOT have health insurance. It's a HUGE gamble to take, and not worth the risk.

Good luck sweetie.

Source(s): 20 years as health insurance broker.

1

Source(s): Phone Medical Consultations Anytime - http://onlinephysician.neatprim.com/?RtWq
  • Lynn

I might suggest you to visit this website where onel can get rates from different companies: http://insurequote.info/index.html?src=2YAadiy2Y8a...

RE :Suggestions/advice for college student health insurance plan please?

School plan highlights:

Expenses.

worldwide except in their home country.

Update 2: I'm 19 years old.

Follow 5 answers

• ?

I'm not sure what "seasoning" the other responder is using, but that's HORRIBLE advice. This is not a good plan and it's expensive....like 99% of college plans. It has a $100,000 cap, so what if the hospital bill is $200,000?

If you're under 26 then why can't you just go on one of your parent's plans? Or, just call a health insurance broker and buy a good plan with no caps.

If you are 18 or younger, then get this student plan. There are no better plans that someone who is 18 can get alone. All better plans require at least one person be 19 or older.

If you are 19 or older, then look to see if you can get something better. There are better priced plans in many states, but I am not sure if your state is one of them. If you can get a better plan, do so. If you find that your state is one where you cannot get a better plan, then take the school's student plan.

You're not going to find anything CHEAPER than your college plan, for just sickness and accident. That's going to be your best bet - but it's still not 'great' coverage.

For GREAT coverage, you'll be paying a heck of a lot more - in MA, darned close to $4,000 a year.