Is the black thing on the end of a banana a bug?

My mother always told me that the black thing on the end of a banana was a bug. I am 31 years old now and I still refuse to eat it. I don't even let my kids eat it. I tell them it is a bug too. Was my mother wrong for ruining that particular section of banana? Or is it true, it is a bug, a disgusting little black bug that grows on the end of my delicious banana?

Update:

No, I am not talking about the stem.

OK you peel a banana from the top, once all the peel is gone and you have removed all those pesky stringy things. At the very bottom there is this little black thing. It may be at the top depending on how you peeled it. But its a little black thing the size of a pencil eraser. that is the "bug" my mom warned me not to eat.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Hahaha you are a retard for sure =D No it's not a bug, but i take all the strings and the black parts off too, i just don't eat it. lol. always been like that. i guess you could say i'm picky =P

Source(s): experience
  • 8 years ago

I know exactly what your talking about . I always took that part off .. I never knew why . But I don't think its a bug , I think its probably part of the banana peel stem or whatever .. but what do I know ? I'm 14 & a freshman .

• 8 years ago

I'm Pretty sure it's not a bug and is just part of the seed. The seeds at the botto. So it could be connected. I open mine from the bottom And I never get bug guts on my hands so there's no way it is one. And even if it was why would it stop you from eating a banana? There sooo good!

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Haha silly mommys nope not a bug just the stem^^ eat away!!! Good source of potassium

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Yeah its definitely a bug and you're lucky your mother took the time to teach you this valuable lesson. They are called banana beetles due to where they are most often found. They aren't lethal or anything but will leave you with an aweful stomach ache. I hear its terrible.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

the black thing is just where the banana grew from, the stem is where it was pulled from.

• 8 years ago

I've always thought it was the keys to a masarati, but bananas are lies and masarati's dont like bananas.

• 8 years ago

I have no idea what you are talking about? On the peel? No buddy don't eat the peel

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

maybe she ment bacteria or mold..cuz yes its a kind of mold that is developped with bacteria and rotts the fruit...but it isnt a bug per say lol

• 8 years ago

...The stem? Why would anyone eat it anyways?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.