Is the black thing on the end of a banana a bug?

My mother always told me that the black thing on the end of a banana was a bug. I am 31 years old now and I still refuse to eat it. I don't even let my kids eat it. I tell them it is a bug too. Was my mother wrong for ruining that particular section of banana? Or is it true, it is a bug, a disgusting little... show more My mother always told me that the black thing on the end of a banana was a bug. I am 31 years old now and I still refuse to eat it. I don't even let my kids eat it. I tell them it is a bug too. Was my mother wrong for ruining that particular section of banana? Or is it true, it is a bug, a disgusting little black bug that grows on the end of my delicious banana?
Update: No, I am not talking about the stem. OK you peel a banana from the top, once all the peel is gone and you have removed all those pesky stringy things. At the very bottom there is this little black thing. It may be at the top depending on how you peeled it. But its a little black thing the size of a pencil eraser.... show more No, I am not talking about the stem.
OK you peel a banana from the top, once all the peel is gone and you have removed all those pesky stringy things. At the very bottom there is this little black thing. It may be at the top depending on how you peeled it. But its a little black thing the size of a pencil eraser. that is the "bug" my mom warned me not to eat.