promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Mindy asked in HealthDental · 9 years ago

What to expect while getting braces?

Im getting braces tomorrow so i would like to know what to expect and what not. Thanks!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You go in and they sit you up on the chair and put these thingys in your mouth to make it open wide as haha! You look silly : )

And then they get some kind of detergent which cleans the tooth where the bracket will go. This makes a small white as patch but this goes back to normal colour soon enough.

Then they glue on each bracket and then put your first wire in which will be thin since you're only just starting. They will eventually get thicker wires as you go through your procedure. Depending on whether you are getting coloured braces they will swecure the wire to the bracket with the coloured O-rings which you get to pick the colour (the best part) : )

Then they just clip the end of the wire so it doesn't dig into your gum at the back and bam! You are officially a brace face!

Then they just show you how to care for them and answer any questions and most places give you a little pack with things like tooth floss, brushes and all sorts. Then you make you an appointment for a couple of months at the most and you're good to go : )

It doesn't hurt to get them but might hurt the next day or that night but that wont last too long.

If you're getting colours then cool colours are ..

•Purple and yellow

•Pink and blue

•blue and yellow

•purple and orange

•green and purple

•Teal (Makes teeth look whiter!)

•Rainbow : ) !!

Have fun!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

The first couple 10-20 hours, it won't hurt, but you do feel slight pressure. NEXT DAY. HURTS. LIKE. AUFJBDFUBSJDFBDF. I still have my braces, one more year to go! After the 3rd day, you'll get use to it, and you wont really notice it anymore. The worst part of braces is just the 2nd day. Then they tighten your braces, it won't hurt as much.

ALSO. You will probably fast the 2nd day. (not eat at all, so make sure you make porridge!)

• 9 years ago

actually getting the braces on shouldn't be painful. But once everything is done (once the wire is fixed) your teeth will prob be pretty sore.

My advice, stick to soft foods for the first day or so. and when they tighten the braces your teeth will be sore for a day or so afterwords.

Good luck! Its not all that bad!

Source(s): Had braces for 2 years!
  • Braces aren't to bad at all and once you are used to them they are awesome, I love mine! Although the glue/liquid does taste horrible you will be able to swill your mouth out quickly, getting used to them is the worst part but it doesn't take long at all, then you can eat anything..And they are only there to make your teeth straighter!

Source(s): I have train track's (full braces top+bottom)
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

When I had mine, I layed back, they put a special cement on your teeth and put the brackets on, that's what the wire will go on, then they will place a (probably thin) wire on that. Then they wil put colored tiny rubber bands around the bracket to hold the wire on. No pain, atleast I didn't have any when I first had mine put on. It should be kinda quick. Good luck. :)

Source(s): Had braces for 2 years.
  • 9 years ago

uncomfortable things to hold your mouth open for like an hour while they put them on, but it doesn't hurt. your mouth will not feel sore for a few hours, or if your lucky the next day. for the next several days after that Advil and foods you don't have to chew will be your best friends, because your mouth will hurt like crap. Good luck:)

• 9 years ago

I just got braces on two weeks ago...its really not that bad!

• 9 years ago

it doesn't hurt but the numbing liquid tastes terrible

• 9 years ago

NO POPCORN ! unless you get teen invislign

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.