What do you call someone in the army?

I was thinking soldier. But if you were to call someone, would you say "Hey, Soldier Green." or something like that?

I know that someone in the army is called a "soldier'' but what i meant was can you call some "soldier Green"?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

For an officer, it would be "sir" or "ma'am"...or you can address them by their rank and name, such as "Captain Smith" or "Lieutenant Uhura" lol...sorry for the Star Trek reference...

For enlisted, you can call them, "Sergeant" or "Sergeant Brown" if you know their name (only E-5 and up)...for lower ranks you call them "Private_________" or "Specialist" or "Corporal". Most times people will only use the exact rank name, i.e. Staff Sergeant or Sergeant First Class to distinguish between two individuals with the same last name.

In the Army, an NCO (E-5 or higher) can be just "Sergeant ______" until you get to an E-9 which you call Sergeant Major (highest enlisted rank)...some will allow you to call them "Top", or First Sergeant if that is their role in the unit.

Any enlisted soldier serving as the First Sergeant can be called simply "First Sergeant" or you can add their last name, too.

I know in the USMC, they look at you funny if you call all NCOs "sergeant"...but in the Army it is different.

In a casual situation, you call them by their name, just like any other person. In a more formal situation, you learn their rank and call them that, "Hello Sgt. Green". Soldier is more of a general term for people in the army.

By there ranks or if they are coalition fighters fighters like I am I'm a german Kommandant you would call me soldier Deiter insteed of Kommandant because that's hard to say if you don't speak german

Depending on their rank:

Private

Lance Corporal

Corporel

Sargent

Staff Sargent

Private, sergant etc depend on their rank

you call them by their ranks like, hey Private Miller!

My husband is a Private, & I call him sexy stud muffin. Hahha.

It varies.

it varies depending on their job

Mr. and Mrs. or Miss