Are guppies salt water, freshwater, or tap?

I was just wondering which one they lived in. Thanks.

• Aaron
    Best Answer

Guppies are very adaptable to different conditions. They can live in freshwater, to higher salinity than salt water if they're acclimated slowly. I believe the best for them is plain ol' tap water with a teaspoon to a tablespoon of aquarium salt or marine salt mixed in. But add it a little at a time ove the course of a few days if where you get them from doesn't keep them the same way. And if you're keeping them in a community tank, make sure their tankmates are okay with any salt. Any of the other common livebearers like mollies, platies, and swords will be okay, and like some salt in their water too.

Very interesting though, as I was looking online for the salt tolerance website I'd found before http://www.fancyguppy.info/setting-your-fish-tank-... - read under "Environment" - , I found one that suggests that the ability to tolerate salt decreases with inbred guppies http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v86/n2/full/6887... Still, they're using salinities that are over half that of seawater. A teaspoon to a tablespoon wouldn't be anywhere near that.

But in reality, they can live in any of the three - as long as the tap water has a conditioner to take out the chlorine added.

• Ianab

Freshwater, so they can live in tap water, just make sure you use water conditioner to neutralise any chlorine.

They are also a tropical fish, so probably need a heater.

Ian

• Ocimom

Guppies are freshwater fish. never salt or tap water should be used.

freshwater never use salt water or tap water you want to use purified water like bottled water.

they are fresh water fish you can use tap water just get some water conditioner.