Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

My cat died eating a poisoned rat, can I sue the grocery store?

I live next to the store and they always have dead rats laying around.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • J C
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

Sue the grocery store for what? The fact that you allow your cat outdoors? Grocery stores have lots of spoiled food in dumpsters, so they attract rats. Fact of life. As long as they have a pest control program, they have no health code violations because they have rats. If you sued them, the most you could recover would be the cost of replacing your cat, and you would need to prove that your cat died from the eating the rat, and that the particular rat your cat ate was poisoned.

Bottom line - I feel sorry for your cat, but that's the risk you take when allowing a cat outdoors. Each time you let the cat outside, you may never see them again.

Source(s): many years of cat rescue
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Uh..how did your cat get a hold of the rats outside? Obviously you let your cat out to eat the rats. It is YOUR fault your cat is dead if you let it outside...NOT the stores. The outdoors is a VERY dangerous place for cats..due to things like POISON, disease, parasites, being hit by a car, being attacked or eaten by a wild animal or domesticated animals..etc. etc. The list goes on. So, if you were willing to risk your cats life by letting it out in the first place and it did indeed die..then YOU are the only one to blame! Take some responsibiltiy for your OWN actions and stop blaming the world insteed of admitting that YOU screwed up by being an irresponsible pet owner.

• 8 years ago

Your cat was off your property and out of your control, no matter what he eats out there the fact you weren't with him at the time means you have no control over it. No, you can't sue them.

You CAN call the health department about the dead rats laying around.

• no because if you called the health inspector they if the inspector found a lot of rats the store would just be closed and your cat would still be dead. so you hae nothing to gain from it but closing a store that people go to. ad they have to be in the store not out side next to your house.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

No - if your cat was outside, anything could have happened - may not be the poisoned rat, could have been something else.

If you keep your cat inside, there would be no poisoned cat.

1. HOW do you know the rat was poisoned?

2. HOW do you know your cat ate that particular rat?

3. How do you know what your cat died of?

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I don't think so, when you allow your cat outside you are taking a risk. That's going to be the argument, and it's fair( Im sorry for your loss though) . You might want to call the health department or something and get them fined and maybe shut down, that sounds unsanitary.

• 8 years ago

NO, But they can have your store Out of business because of you..

BECAUSE THEY HAVE RATS!

Rest in Peace Fluffy.

http://cats.about.com/cs/copingwithloss/a/dealingw...

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/coping-cat-death.ht...

http://askville.amazon.com/cat---How-death/AnswerV...

Im so sorry for the death of your loving cat..

Maybe The next cat should be indoor?

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No.

Next time keep your damn cats inside!!!

Serve you right.

Source(s): FIV, FELV, dogs, cayotes, foxes, cat haters, cars etc
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Yeah get a health inspector to inspect that place and tell him/her what happened. He/she will shut them down!

Get revenge!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.