Neeko Parakeet asked in PetsBirds · 9 years ago

What can I tell my parents that would help me get a budgie?

These are there problems:

We could get sick from it.

It would stink

I wouldn't take care of it

Is it true and what could I tell them?

My mom really doesn't like birds :(

Favorite Answer

I do not believe you get sick just because of your bird... I don't think so anyway...

It does not stink! Are these excuses from your mum? If so, she doesn't know what she's talking about! Budgies do not stink in the dirtiest of cages... But, just because it doesn't smell doesn't mean you stop cleaning the cage. That must be done weekly, change the water daily, and change the food every three days...

Well, would you take care of it? I will repeat what I said above: clean the cage weekly, change the water daily, change the food every three days, and a few extras, make sure fresh fruit and vegetables are available, AND, if the bird is tame, handle them.

If this is too hard, then, maybe don't get a budgie, caring for a bird couldn't get any easier than this...

Source(s): Currently own four budgies. Previously bred budgies.

It's rare to get sick from pet birds but wild bird yeah. I've owned 24 birds and none of them ever got sick. And they don't stink a bit but might be messy. The room where I keep my birds never stinks. You should take care of it, why won't you? It's the best bird ever.

Source(s): Owned 24 birds

None of those are really true.

1 - we could get sick from it

That is not true, because we have a stronger immune system than them.

2 - It would stink

That is true, but not overpowering like big parrots

3 - You would not take care of it

Try taking care of an imaginary bird for a while

and 4 - your mom dislikes birds

Show her some bird videos and books about them, she might get hooked on them.

She doesn't like birds?!? She's crazy! ;)

Good luck on getting a bird!

Source(s): I have 3 parakeets.

When I asked my mum if I could get a lovebird, I told her that I would clean it's cage; when it really needs a clean. Look after the bird, pay a lot of attention to it, and cut my allowances, so I get half as much as I get before. And it worked, and now I've got a lovebird!!

I have 2 budgies.

True, you could be allergic to them, or your family could be allergic to their feathers.

But, if you don't tend to have allergies, then you should be okay. I have a family member with allergies plus asthma, and they don't experience any problems with them.

They don't stink, unless you don't clean their cages and let their waste pile up.

If you don't take care of them, that's on you, and you shouldn't get a budgie if you're not going to take care of it.

Source(s): My opinion