Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 9 years ago

I am interested in living greener and healthier. any suggestions?

i recycle, buy from farm markets, and use reusable bottles what else can i do that is BOTH good for me and the environment

Favorite Answer

Ignore Bob baker the GI Joe over there. He obviously has never seen a trash dump up close, or an oil spill's effect on an ecosystem, let alone a dried up spring in Florida.

I've found that a few things are very simple to reducing waste EVERYDAY.

1) When at the grocery store, if you don't have recycled bags because you've forgotten them, just use the cart. The cart is meant to store and transport items so utilize that, who says that you need to have a plastic bag to carry 3 or 4 things in it from the store to the home. Timewise it may take maybe 45 seconds longer on average to not use bags, but it saves the plastic, and doesn't require much extra effort.

2) Find unique ways of recycling otherwise unrecyclable things (or even common recyclables). For instance, "The Pen Guy" collects old used up pens from people like myself and you and turns them into art. He is currently trying to cover a mercedes with pens.

3) Reusing box filler is a very helpful step. Since styrofoam is not recyclable that doesn't mean it has no value. For instance, styrofoam from my new tv box: I gave my nephew a hammer and a stick and told him to whack away all he wanted to and when he was done I had tiny styrofoam pieces suitable for shipping almost anything in.

4) Rechargeable batteries: Having worked in retail as a cashier while doing school, countless people purchase giant packages of batteries to store for months because they are on sale, usually for a price comparable to a 4-pack of rechargeable batteries and the charger. These batteries are not only recyclable when they've been overused, but can be recharged in hours. Simply changing over your batteries to rechargeable ones can make such a difference.

5) One last helpful hint is to place most of your appliances (excluding fridge, stove, etc) on surge protectors. This not only increases their electronic life, but gives you the ability to turn them off when not in use. I'm sure we've all seen the articles and studies about how doing this saves you money, well if it saves money it saves energy. In general anything that saves you money, is eco friendly.

Here are a few more quick ideas:

-Minimize intake of processed food: they're more expensive, less healthy, and less environmental

-Read the yahoo articles about organic foods to eat/not to worry about. Nearly every few months there is an article about 15 dirtiest pesticide ridden fruits/veggies, and eventually one about foods you don't need to worry about. These are helpful when trying to balance spending while eating healthy.

- DIY: doing things yourself is a great way of being environmental, most companies or people that do household work use the cheap stuff and charge for the expensive stuff. Simple tasks like tiling can be very easy for you to do, save you money, and allow you to save money while still using high quality environmental goods.

-Renting instead of Buying. Most households own dozens if not hundreds of videos and movies. But how often are some of these watched? Netflix or these 1$ rental places are great to get stuff from. Even buying used when possible. Most goods are written off as worthless and chucked after being used, but rarely are so.

-Scan your trash carefully. I went to throw away an old desktop computer last year until I realized all the parts were usable, for instance I made a nice picture frame of the monitor screen and the keys from the keyboard.

-Stop using anything scented. People spend 1000s of dollars every year purchasing things that remove smells when really they hide smells until the smell makes a comeback. At most if you want when cleaning make a mixture of vinegar, water, lime juice, and baking soda to clean most surfaces. It accomplishes the same things, costs less, and saves the gas to get that stuff made and transported all over to you. In general, making your own things like dish detergent, laundry soap, etc help. All I've learned over the years is that baking soda used to be a household ingredient for our parents for our reason, its simple yet effective.

All it takes is some creativity.

Source(s): -Environmental Engineer -Work with public education for sustainability

You can also avoid using air fresheners and anything else that serves the purpose of making your home smell nicer. Many people don't realize that these common items contain carcinogens that are harmful to your health, especially due to the fact that it is concentrated inside of your home. And although CFC's have been banned (with some exclusions), companies have sneakily worked around the law by developing things such as CHC's and numerous others, all of which deplete ozone in the stratosphere, thus eventually leading to higher amounts of UV radiation.

Another green thing you can do is eat lower on the food chain. Take for example fish. By eating smaller fish such as sardines, you accumulate smaller levels of mercury and other harmful chemicals in your own body. The reason for this is that as you progress higher up the food chain, concentrations of toxins increase through a process called biomagnification. Essentially, it is like a pyramid, where the lower the better.

Hopefully you don't smoke, but if you do, I advise that you at least minimize or quit. Most people already know that smoking is bad for the lungs and such, but in reality, the particulates in cigarette smoke are actually small enough to go straight through your lungs and from there, they are free to do whatever they want.

Be careful of what you buy. Just because the product claims to be 'green' or environmentally friendly does not make it so. Companies often mislead customers with such slogans or labels. Do your research first and spend time reading the information so you can find out what is in it and where it comes from.

Apologies if the information isn't 100% accurate (though I'm sure it's quite close). It's been awhile since I've studied environmental science.

Source(s): Took and Environmental Science course.

The number one way you can go green and free yourself from the enslavement of "things" is to reduce the amount of "stuff" you need to live.

This will also save you money that you can apply to getting out of debt or saving for a goal.

People remember experiences better that they do objects so reduce ( the first R or reduce, reuse, repourpose and recycle ), save some dough and use it to fund that trip or experience you've always wanted.

• There are SO MANY things you can do! I've added links below for details but start by:

- doing an energy audit in your home...how do you use energy and how can you save more?

- do a water energy as well...how much water do you use and what can you decrease?

- go chemical free...no more pesticides, chemical cleaners, etc

- shift your traditions and holidays...there are 2,285,000 tonnes of greenhouse pollution contributed to Christmas in Australia alone!

- and the list goes on and on....check out the site below. I have tons of info there!

Stop being a stupid hippie. All this green crap is just for votes. Realistically all this going green junk has little to no effect at all. Only thing that is good is recycling.

conserve water, www.morph2o.com use 30% to 70% less with this type product