good books for an 8 year old who reads above grade level?

He's an avid reader and while he reads very well he still enjoys the topics of the age appropriate books like Stink and Ready Freddie even though the reading is way below him now. He enjoys Encyclopedia Brown and Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Boxcar Children. He does not like ABC Mysteries or fantasy books.

I'd love some titles or series thrown my way. And before you mention it I *do* go to the library about once a week. It is small but they will order books not in stock from other libraries so that is why I need the ideas for what to order.

Favorite Answer

-39 clues books (idk what they're about but my 9 going on 10 yr old brother loves them)

-Andrew Clements has great books about kids doing big things... They're easy to connect to, and pretty easy books for the most part

Holes by Louis Sachar. Hatchet and its four sequels by Gary Paulson. Hank the Cowdog Books. Anything by E.B. White. The Secret Garden by Frances Burnett. Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. Pollyanna by Eleanor Porter. Do Not Open: An Encyclopedia of the World's Best-Kept Secrets by John Farndon. The Giver by Lois Lowry. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. Shiloh and its two sequels by Phyllis Renolds Naylor. Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar. I know of others but they are mostly fantasy or books that girls would be interested in more than boys. Hope this helps.

When I was 8 I was reading on about a 6th to 7th grade level. I remember reading Where the read fern grows. And Old Yeller. Number the stars. A wrinkle in time. And alot of Judy Blume books. Many of those books that I mentioned are around 4th grade level. Because I didn't know how high his reading level was.

Source(s): Me.

The Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne (there are a lot of them), and any books by Roald Dahl. My 6 year old loves them. We are currently reading Matilda. These books also really help build vocabulary.

• ?

Introduce him to Roald Dahl books. They are really funny and you can start off with "charlie and the chocolate factory" and then the other books.

• "A Raisin in the Sun" is a good book. Its a play so its easy to read.

Source(s): Read it
  • Rachel

Zac power

Deltora Quest

Goosebumps (millions of these to choose from)

maybe some literature

John Steinbeck

Charles Dickens