Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 8 years ago

Purpose for SSD + HDD dual drives? What is better for RAID?

I am ordering a custom gaming pc, with dual hard drives. The default choice you are given is a primary 64 GB SSD and a 500 GB HDD. Is there any reason to keep this drive set up? Will there be any synchronization issues with asymmetric drives? Isn't it better for setting up RAID to have two identical drives (say, both traditional HDD and cheaper)?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

I think you don't understand it right. When you select a RAID 0 or 1 configuration, it automatically gives you two of the same drive. If you selected a RAID configuration for your SSD, it gives you two SSDs in a RAID format. Did you select a RAID format, even? Because if you didn't, then you can't set up two hard drives in a RAID format manually. From what I can understand of your question, you didn't select a RAID format. If you did, it would say something next you your selection like (2X256). The reason that there are two hard drives, one SSD and one HDD, is because SSDs load faster for games, and HDDs can store more data. So you have a game drive and a data drive. Does this make any sense to you?

Source(s): Experience
  • 3 years ago

It relies upon. i think the SSD+HDD could be extra "sturdy" because of the fact with a RAID 0 configuration, if one force fails, you lose the suggestions from the two drives. notwithstanding, velocity could be controversial. For immediately throughput, the RAID could in all hazard be speedier. For get entry to cases, the SSD could win, however the lone 1TB force could lose.

• 8 years ago

You wouldn't be doing RAID with that setup, you would have the SSD as a boot/application drive, with the HDD as a data drive.

If you want RAID, then it's best to have identical drives.

• Blah B
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

No issues at all, make sure the OS is installed into the SSD for faster boot/load times and all your other data can go onto the HDD.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.