Can a meteor or any other object from space change direction?

A few months ago I was in the car with my father and brother, we were driving on 84 (I think) going from Massachusetts to Connecticut. It was around 9:58 p.m. My father and I were both looking forward. The night was very clear, the highway was wide open and we were on the top of hill, there was maybe 4 other... show more A few months ago I was in the car with my father and brother, we were driving on 84 (I think) going from Massachusetts to Connecticut. It was around 9:58 p.m. My father and I were both looking forward. The night was very clear, the highway was wide open and we were on the top of hill, there was maybe 4 other visible cars at the time. Then I see a bright white and blue flash in the sky and it trailed downward leaving a streak. I was about to tell my dad to look at the shooting star, but then it suddenly swooped back up, it almost look like the streak of light was stretching, all together it made a check mark maneuver. Immediately my father and I screamed "whoa!!!" So I was wondering what this possibly could have been. Was it a shooting star? Can shooting stars even change direction?