Paul asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 9 years ago

Genealogy With Facebook's Help?

I heard how Facebook has reunited loved ones after all these years and right now I am tracing my family tree and I would like to use Facebook. This is what I plan to do, Since I can post a message to Everyone, I will ask if you are related to so and so, please message me and I will explain that I do have ways to find out who is legitimate or not, which I do have ways to do it.

I do have info that you cannot find using Ancestry but I would like your opinion, should I go this route on Facebook to try and find potential relatives?? I have been researching my family tree since 2007 and am interested in finding cousins from one family line. Should I try this route?? Do you suggest another way??

I know the dangers of doing this that I may come in contact with the wrong type of person but I am smart enough to not give out any private info to anyone.

Favorite Answer

Sure. One line (I was family secretary for many years) has exactly such a page for Fullingim descendents. Although I emphasize here that everyone with any last name is not necessarily related, ones from this name, are. Be sure and title your page explicitly enough to define exactly what family it is. You will find some who have no interest in genealogy, but that is always true.

Back in the day..and I mean when phones had such things as long distance charges..I looked up the last name all over the country and cold called. Yes..I did! And made many connections. Once I was able to make clear I was not a bill collector (made sure I got that out front fast), almost everyone was happy to hear from me. We got a family reunion going, and dug up tons of off record info like old pics and such.

The only time I bumped heads was an occasional divorced spouse who still had the name. Remember..all the desc. won't carry the name (daughters, etc) and everyone won't be on facebook, much less even online.

Dr J has an overly well factor. People who're serious about Genealogy also are mainly very well at study in different locations. I labored as a authorized assistant, and legislative assistant for a whilst, each required me to study authorized problems in fairly extraordinary methods. Professional Genealogists don't spent at all times doing family tree study (they have got to pay the hire too) would possibly train or have jobs external the Genealogy international. I have a pal who has a measure in History and a minor in Library Science, she is a librarian in a small Genealogy Library. That is wherein a number of the researchers I recognize paintings, if they've remained within the subject. I additionally recognize a few who've personal advisor corporations, however they're making little cash nowadays. I were a paid personal advisor for years, and without doubt could now not were equipped to outlive at the charges I have earned. The TV systems that experience surfaces within the final couple years appear like plenty of amusing, however there are very constrained employment to be had there and as soon as the trend wears off and the TV application is long past so it the process. I advise being practical and speaking to a school counselor approximately possibilities within the subject, they've understanding approximately profession tendencies and specifications.

• W

Or, you could create a page for people who share your surname, and THEN post the message. You have a much higher chance of finding relatives that way. You could also put in a location (i.e., Brown Family from Kentucky).

ADD:

I have actually found relatives by searching a surname and then the location where my ancestors lived, and sending everyone on the list a message. I've found some cousins in Italy that way.

I know that people have used Facebook but I am not sure of the exact details of what they did. Search Geneabloggers for 'using Facebook' to get some ideas for techniques to use.

http://www.geneabloggers.com/search-geneablogger-m...