What is the difference between Karaite Judaism and Rabbinical Judaism?

What is the difference between Karaite Judaism and Rabbinical(orthodox) Judaism.

Do Rabbanites(Orthodox) recognize Karaite as Jews? I read that Karaites where a significantly large population of Jews..How did they decline....

Is it possible to Adopt Karaite Judaism as my faith? If so what are the merits and demerits in other Jewish circles....

I have great respect for this group.

Update:

The reason is I don't like this Oral laws and other writings and I feel they are divinely inspired...and they do contain some weird teachings....

I am not Jewish.

Update 2:

@melkha

no as far as i have read there is no jesus, yeshua or muhammed or anyother forms/derivatives of their names or similar persons held as part of karaite judaism. How do you say they are tied up messianic moments?

Update 3:

@Chalcedo...

The Xtianity is quad theist sect no thnx.

@Kaganate

The Karaites therefore have their own sets of "Oral Laws" -- but these, IMO have less of a provenance in a continuous and established stream of scholarship.

Good points

@Yeremiahu Yonteff

Who gives the authority to you 2 consider something is heretic did god do? If you are a majority or aristocrats/ruling class of Jewish population it doesn't mean what ever you say is true and whatever you believe is actual Judaism who ever you point is jew and non jew....don't mix xtianty with Karaism after all they follow the same 24 books of Tannakh not even like the samaritans who sacrifice on mount gerzim.

Rabbinic judaism is term used to describe where rabbi's hold the important role in Judiasm...

Point noted:

To rejoin mainstream judaism they need to convert halachicly to rule our any obvious questions about thier jewish status.

Additional

Is it necessary for all converts to half-heartadly join Orthodox Judaism(rabbinic) li

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You have asked a multi-part question each of which can fill books. The major difference is that Karaite Judaism believes that the only divine revelation that God made to humanity is found in the Hebrew Scriptures (also called the TaNaKh). Orthodox Judaism believes that an Oral Torah was transmitted to Moses simultaneously with the written Torah.

As to recognition, it depends upon which Orthodox Jew you ask. The Sephardic community has been more open to acceptance of Karaite Jews. See the Jpost article on May 21, 2007 entitled "Laying Down the Oral Law" wherein Sephardi orthodox Rabbi David Chelouche, Chief Rabbi of Netanya recognizes Karaite Jews as being capable of becoming Orthodox Jews without conversion.

During the 'golden age' of Karaite Judaism, a large portion of the Jewish population were Karaites. Rabbinnic Judaism enacted laws permitting the lighting of Shabbat Candles and use of fire on Shabbat which won favor with the Jewish population base in colder climates.

All movements within Judaism conduct conversions. The University of which I was a founding member, conducting the first conversions of Gentiles to Karaite Judaism in over 500 years so that conversion is available today. The answer would have been much different 10 years ago.

Orthodox Jews do not consider the conversions from any other movement to be valid. So if you are planning to have serious relationships with the Orthodox community you might want to rethink your position.

Source(s): www.kjuonline.org; www.karaite-korner.org; www.orahsaddiqim.org
  • 9 years ago

As you seem to know - the difference is over the recognition of the continuous authority of the Talmud.

There are actualy two principle strains of Jews which are called Karaite -- those who reject the Talmud and various "ignorant" communities -- those where there were no scholars for some time and therefore the Talmudic practices have deteriorated.

Yes, the Karaites are generaly recognised as Jews by rabinic Jews.

There may be exceptions -- there is a group of Karaites in Lithuania who had invented for themselves a non-Israelite origin.

If we were to believe them about their origin, they would have to be rejected since they will not have had a conversion to Judaism. They are largely disbelieved however, because we have the records of the invention of that origin.

The relationship differs in different specific places and times.

In Eastern Europe in the 19th and early 20th century the relatioship was very strained on both sides. In Egypt in the middle ages it was very cordial and even rather porous.

> How did they decline?

Hitler killed most of them

> Can you convert

I don't know their conversion rules

And again -- since there are different groups and since they do not have a cohesive mesorah (tradition) their rules may vary strongly.

> What demerits in other Jewish circles

I don't know what status a Karaite has who wants to become part of mainstream Judaism.

You may have to reconvert.

Or a Karaite may have a worse problem -- when a non-Jew converts to Judaism, the transformation is complete and there is no further question of origins.

However, when a Jew from a non-Talmudic community enters the Talmudic community, there may be continuing issues of status with respect to mariageability based on the effects of the non-Talmudic practices.

-

> "The reason is I don't like this Oral laws"

The thing of it is -- the written Torah is not observable as a coherent legal system without commentary --

So all communities wind up developing some sort of Mesorah.

(even Christianity has developed a set of explanations and elaborations of the Jewish system)

The Karaites therefore have their own sets of "Oral Laws" -- but these, IMO have less of a provenance in a continuous and established stream of scholarship.

• 9 years ago

Very good question

What is the difference between Karaite Judaism and Rabbinical(orthodox) Judaism.

Karaites maintain that all of the divine commandments handed down to Moses by God were recorded in the written Torah, without additional Oral Law or explanation. As a result, Karaite Jews do not accept as binding the written collections of the Oral tradition in the Mishnah or Talmud.

Orthodox Judaism believes that the Torah is not complete without the oral part of the Torah that Hashem verbally spoke to Moses to explain the written Torah. Believing in the written Torah without believing in Torah Shebaal Peh is considered Apikorsus (heresy) according to orthodox beliefs of Judaism. The Torah Shebaal Peh is written in many volumes of the Talmud.

Do Rabbanites(Orthodox) recognize Karaite as Jews?

They recognize them as Jewish men who unfortunately are not keeping the Jewish religion

I read that Karaites where a significantly large population of Jews..How did they decline....

According to the Karaites, this movement at one time attracted as much as 40% of the Jewish people. Today, Karaites are a very small minority, and most Rabbinical Jews do not even know that they exist.

Orthodox Jews believe that only the real Judaism can keep on for so many years and all false movements will decline over time

Is it possible to Adopt Karaite Judaism as my faith? If so what are the merits and demerits in other Jewish circles

Yes but you will not be considered Jewish by Orthodox Jews {only if your mother is Jewish or you make a orthodox Jewish conversion}

• 9 years ago

Karites were a heretical sect of judaism a long time ago, they didn't believe the divine origin of the oral tradition and only kept the laws of the written torah. This idea was a common form of heresy in the second temple period (the sect leading to Xtianity had the same belief) also "conservitive" jews use the same misguidance to give thier rabbis the authority to change jewish law to suit thier needs. The modern day karites are no longer considered halachicly jewish because they have been seperate from judaism for so long. To rejoin mainstream judaism they need to convert halachicly to rule our any obvious questions about thier jewish status.

There is no such thing as "rabbinic judaism". The authority of the oral tradition (written down in the mishna) is a fundamental part of judaism, it is every bit as redundant as saying "monotheistic Judasim" or "sabath observant judaism" to deviate from the authority of the oral tradition is to deviate from judaism itself.

Source(s): orthodox jew
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

The divine status and authority of the Oral Law (I suppose now codified in the Mishnah and Talmud) is the difference, but you already seem to know that. I think the relationship between the Karaites and Rabbinical Judaism has always been pretty strained, a lot like that between Protestants and Catholics in Christianity (and for very similar reasons---over the divine inspiration of oral church tradition). They recognize each other as Jews, just not very good ones.

It is now possible to convert to the Karaite faith, but to be accepted you'll have to study hard under their teachers for a year to learn their ways.

Personally, I would invite you to consider the only successful messianic sect to ever come out of Judaism---Christianity.

Shalom

• Melkha
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

The Karaite reject the Talmud, but have their own Oral laws. Every Karaite I have met has been tied up with the messianic xtian movement.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.