Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 9 years ago

What machinery/tools are need to make custom guns?

Dude I'm not some random idiot trying to make some home made weponds I'm a 12 year USMC Vet I know alot about guns and I was plan on making a customized gun store

Stop with the dumb a$$ answers I just whant to know the name of the f****** tools used to make them nothing else

Favorite Answer

here's a long list of some very expensive machinery

gunsmithing lathe

wood lathe (lathe for wood)

drill press

20 ton press

riveter

propane torch

rifling cutter- a special lathe that only does rifling. for chambers and crowns you use the gunsmithing lathe.

bandsaw

jigsaw

multi-axis mill

CNC

probably want a 3d printer

furnace & crucible for casting

crimp tool

thread tools

many kinds of bench vices & clamps

paint booth

bluing tubs & electroplating tubs

drying ovens

belt sander

calipers, all kinds of hand tools

power drill, power saw, etc

dremel tool

welder

water jet (for cutting metals & wood)

injection molding, silicon molding, vacuum molding - working with polymers.

I wish I had all these at my disposal, I've designed 6 guns that I would love to build. without basic wood shop tools I can't even make a custom stock (a good stock). Still, I managed to make do a few times with my own hobby gunsmithing projects. the work isn't great, but considering I have like no tools its of incredible precision and quality. that like muzzle brake i designed and build for my mosin Nagant. the cutting took 4 months to do (some 300 hours). managed at 0.006 inch accuracy. in comparison, if I had the proper tools it shouldn't take more than an hour.

at my school borrowing this 3d printer (wish I could buy one but no way i can afford 384 grand) I printed several prototype actions that shows my ideas but cannot be used as they're made of plastic. I also made several parts for my .22lr rifles that can actually be used. scope mounts, front sight, rear sights, etc.

1

Source(s): How to Work Wood http://givitry.info/WoodworkingProjects
  • Karyl

A custom gunsmith might be willing to take on the project, but it wouldn't come cheap. If you're talking a gun from scratch it would involve significant machining and metalwork. If your design is based on an existing type of firearm that could be modified to suit you less so, but still talking many hundreds if not thousands of dollars. For a completely new design you'd need a gunsmith with a manufacturing license, not just someone who can fix guns, but one authorized to create a new one, and it would have to have a serial number and paperwork. If you're just talking a different stock design you might want to consider doing the work yourself. A wooden stock is easily shaped with hand tools and can be built up with additional wood and glue to make just about any shape you can imagine.

So all in all you are wanting to become a gunsmith/ machinist? I cant type every tool you need there is soo much that it would take hours to type it all. Start off by taking a 24 month gun smithing class.

I plan on getting into gunsmithing after high school. Ive looked at a few classes/courses and the one im looking at you must bring in a wood stock blank, an action, and a barrel blank just to name a few parts its a 24 month class and they teach you everything you need to know. While learning how to do this you will also learn what tools are needed to do the job and how to use them.

But you arent going to be making and customized gun stores anytime soon.

Source(s): Sure dont sound like a 12 year USMC Vet to me...

In the event that you need to discover pleasant thoughts for woodworking i can propose you to check here http://www.goobypls.com/r/rd.asp?gid=294

It's perfect in the event that you are simply starting out or in case you're a prepared carpenter.

It has thousands and thousands of woodworking arrangements and you have a CAD/DWG software to view and alter the arrangements. You have regulated instructions with photographs and excellent blueprints and schematics. On the off chance that you are a beginner this is the simplest approach to start your woodworking projects, and on the off chance that you already have experience you can at any rate discover a ton of interesting thoughts!

you will appreciate it :)

• Mr.357

It depends upon what all you are wanting to do. Just building ARs from stock parts takes some screw drivers, punches, barrel wrench, castle nut wrench, upper and lower blocks and a vise. You would also need a trigger jig for an AR to be able to tune triggers or even make them safe. To take barrels from a blank, you would need a lathe and chamber cutter. To make receivers or other parts from steel, you would need a milling machine. You may also need engraving tools if you plan on engraving any of the guns. A hot bluing tank could come in handy if you want to do any metal work. You should probably have a setup to do phosphate coating too. If you plan on doing any stock work, you would need a good selection of wood working tools. You would also need various jigs, dies and wrenches specifically for each model of firearm that you work on. There is not really any set list since it is so dependent upon what you want to do.

• ?

Lathe, rifling tools, mill, tap and die set

Rest of the stuff like the action and that you might have to buy online and make sure that it'll work with the rest of your gun. Same with your stock too.

I've worked with steel and aluminum on lathes in a Machine Shop class I took in high school. You'll be looking at about between $10,000 and $60,000 in machinery to do this. Most of it will be in the lathe and the mill. I would suggest a computer-aided mill. Easier to use than a manual control mill. Either a CNC mill or i think Bridgeport makes a computer aided mill. For a Lathe either Clausing or Southbend will do.

You'll need:

Lathe

Mill

Tap and Die set metric an standard

Rifling taps

screw drivers

files

scribes

tape measure

micrometer (my-crom-eter)

cutting bits for the lathe

Source(s): Machine Shop in High School

it depends on what type of guns, pistol set ups differ from rifle, shotgun is still different

Hunt or sporting, assault?

Ill give a list of some of the most common

Lathe/milling machine a good one, with end mill bits plus other cutting heads, checkering tool

Bolt jeweling setup

a very good solid work bench

Vise with jaw pads

Gun smith screwdrivers

Jewelers files

Honing stones

Calipers

Barrel wrenches

Headspace gauges

trigger pull meter

bench grinders bench polishers

HVLP paint sprayer

Oven to cure paint

Parkerizing set up

Bluing set up

blast cabinet

Air compressor

Federal fire arms licence

Firearms manufacturing licence

crowning tools

Reloading set up

Thats a small start I have every tool on the list plus computers, shooting tank and many many others.

Its just about the morst expensive thing you can get into, plus the insurance is thru the roof, when you build and sell a gun you are responsible for it forever, any malfunction and in some cases misuse is one you.

Oh I forgot a laser engraver welders taps and dies safes ,security system fire protection

100 grand will get you a modest start not including building, plus you have to be set up and ready to run before you can get an ffl that process can take months

Here are literally thousands of organized woodworking projects in a members area and all you have to do is get them off your computer any time you want. Go here https://tr.im/4dZSW

There are thousands of plans so decide which one you are going to tackle next. The choice is yours to make so just click on the proper button for the specific project and then they are right there for you to pick one. The diagrams and instructions will be right there in the computer for you to access at any time or if you prefer you can print them out.

If you wanna start a custom shop like "Red Jacket Firearms" go to a two year gunsmithing school. Then find work at some gunsmithing shop and learn all the tools of the trade. Then once you have enough money start small with a few tools making a few guns a month and slowly grow.