What makes the difference in prices among different brands of ammo?

Right now, I'm buy ammo (in bulk) online for target practice and the decisive factor is price. I've heard many different opinions about the quality of different brands of ammo, but so far none of them seem to be creditable. Most are just in their own experiences and opinions. There is no one showing scientific fact or quantified data. Most would agree that Fed. American Eagle would be among the top choices. However, their price is also among the top. I ended up buying Brown Bear. Back to my question: for the same kind of ammo (i.e. FMJ), same grain (115 gr), what is the key factor that decides the price of the ammo? Their explosive amount? The change (or less of) of misfire? Or just the brand name? Next ammo I'm planning to buy is for home defense purpose, which mean I'm gonna store it in my room, in a magazine ready to fire, until the day I need it. I'm thinking Fed. American Eagle 124gr JHP, box of 25 or 50. What's ur opinion? Thanks for reading this question

Favorite Answer

It's simple economics- the price is determined by all the costs associated with the product from the time it was manufactured to the time it gets to you. Premium ammunition will use materials, construction methods, and quality control that make the ammunition more expensive to manufacture, while the target practice variety is mass produced by the trillions which makes the stuff so cheap that they're practically giving it away. Cheap doesn't necessarily equal value, though, as I've had bricks of plinker .22 ammo that misfired so many times as to make the whole brick worthless.

Then there's the overhead. Military surplus can be among the most exquisitely designed, accurate, and reliable ammunition around (Russian 7N1 comes to mind) but it's being sold at huge discounts because some government agency somewhere is dumping it on the market at a loss. Brown Bear is likewise made in Eastern European countries where labor is cheap so the overhead is low. On the other spectrum is the ammo that's inflated entirely by supply and demand; despite the hype, Winchester Black Talons really have no more stopping power than any other hollow point but they're $50 a box because they look sexy and they're not readily available anymore.

FYI you have less to worry about the ammunition you'll be using than the gun that it will be used in. You need to fire at least 500 rounds that you intend to use as your mainstay ammunition in the specific gun it will be used in to "season" the gun. Plus, if your gun has a shorter barrel (like the Colt Officer or Kimber Tactical) you'll need ammunition with powder that burns faster so that the powder wont be thrown out the short barrel before it gets a chance to burn and cause wasted energy. This is why the Speer ammo I use costs more than the standard .45 ACP ammo.

Realistically, two to the chest and one to the head will bring any attacker down regardless of what ammo you use.

• cmcvpr

There is of course component cost, but in manufacturing, especially repetitive manufacturing where you are making the same thing day after day, it's all about how much you can produce at what cost. Faster more automated equipment will produce at a lower cost than slower equipment that requires more manpower. For high demand items it's worth the investment in the more expensive equipment since you are more certain that you can run it 24/7/365. If you have to stop and change over to a different product on a line, because you can't sell enough, the downtime costs you money.

This is one reason 9mm is cheap. There's huge demand from military users, and when they aren't filling government orders they keep the equipment running and sell it wherever they can. Even selling it at cost would be better than shutting the plant down. Even shut down, a plant costs you money with security, maintenance, taxes, re-start costs, lost employees. It's not easy just turning it off.

Source(s): Worked in manufacturing for 33 years.

Well ammo pretty much costs the same. The reason why wal-mart can sell it cheaper is just due to the fact that they buy a very large chunk of that companies overall production. I have been told that wal-mart buys around 1/3 of ALL the ammo they produce. So they save money buying in a massive quantity which they then pass on to the customer.

The reason why the cheap russian stuff is so cheap is due to lower labor costs and they use cheaper materials such as steel for casings instead of brass. Also this russian stuff comes from former russian ammo plants and machines so there was no startup cost.

Meh...American Eagle in 9mm...too dirty, though I do admit I really have a soft spot for their 147gr rounds. Carbon buildup is right up there with WWB. YMMV of course, but I've currently got a SIG P229 with plenty of AE carbon that I'd gladly like if someone else would clean it for me.

Price is directly related to production costs. So-called premium ammunition uses better quality materials and generally tighter quality control during production (and higher marketing budgets)...thus it costs more to make and costs more to buy. To the right, qualified shooter it's worth it. To the average range plinker, probably not.

Shoot what works for you and don't worry about any sort of status bounce with 'premium' brands unless you do find some sort of real performance advantage in using the stuff; then you'll have to decide if the extra cost is worth it to you.

I'm guessing your looking for 9mm. Go to a Walmart and have them match the disk sporting goods 1/2 off sale. My average 100rd value pack is $17 after tax.

Supply, demand, transportation costs, component costs, production costs, an endless list go into the recipe.