How do I convince my parents to let me become vegetarian?

We were at the store, and my mom had asked the butcher for a large piece of steak and I was like, "noooooo don't chop up those animals!" and she was like, "Who f***ing cares, they're stupid animals that were raised for the us to eat." A while later, I brought it up again, saying that I want to become vegetarian and I have researched all about it and even asked a dietitian about it and I know everything about eating vegetarian, such as knowing I must eat lots of alternatives to meat to continue having enough iron and protein. But she still won't let me! I overheard my parents talking about it, and my mom called me crazy in front of my dad and he just freaked out a lot more. Animal cruelty scared me half to death and I think it's just wrong and gross.

How do I convince them to let me become vegetarian?

I'm not allowed to leave the table until I finished EVERYTHING.

Favorite Answer

Outside of an institutional setting, no one can FORCE you to eat anything.

If your mom says "f***ing" to you and your father calls you crazy, it is possible you are in an abusive situation.

Do a bit more research- iron and protein are easy to come by on a vegetarian diet, without eating "meat alternatives."

Meat contains protein, iron, zinc, and the b vitamins riboflavin, thiamin and b-12.

Protein is found in beans, nuts, seed, lentils, meat substitutes, potatoes, etc. (If you consume enough calories, you’re getting enough protein.)

Iron is found in dark leafy greens, nuts, whole grains and beans.

Zinc is found in beans, nuts, whole grains, fortified breakfast cereals, and dairy products.

Riboflavin in found in dark green leafy vegetables, mushrooms, asparagus and broccoli.

Thiamin is found in whole grains, nuts, sunflower seeds, peas, milk, cauliflower, spinach and legumes.

B-12 is found in eggs, dairy products, fortified breakfast cereals, nutritional yeast and organic produce.

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine has a Vegetarian Starter Kit which should answer most of your questions-

http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/

Be prepared to cook for yourself-

Easy vegetarian recipes:

http://www.theveggietable.com/recipes/easyrecipes....

First, stop being pushy. When I used to grocery shop with my mom, I didn't yell at her and beg her not to buy "those animals" when she went to the deli. Of course I'd rather she didn't buy those things, but if I can eat what I want, so can she. I'd be amazed if your mom ever takes you shopping again after that. If you don't want her to think you're crazy, learn when it's appropriate not to say anything.

Talk to your parents one more time - not at the table or in the store, but maybe some night before dinner. Explain why it this is important to you and that you intend to pursue it. Offer to help shop, cook and clean up - then follow through. Few busy parents will turn that down.

If they still insist on forcing you to sit at the table, sit there. Eat everything except the meat and then just sit. Ultimately, you don't have to convince them of sh*t. Just don't put meat in your mouth. In time, they'll get the message, and even if they don't agree with it, they'll have to let it go.

You could just eat the vegetable sides your mom serves at meals and avoid the meat. You could also sit down with your parents and explain that the thought of eating meat make you feel ill and you like to try eating a vegetarian diet for a while and would appreciate it if they would purchase foods you can it. Offer to do extra chores around the house to pay for the extra cost of the vegetarian foods.

well when i 1st started being 1 i didn't tell them. i went for about a year slowly cutting back meat products. when i got to the point of NO MEAT AT ALL my mom finally realized that i wasn't eating the beef, chicken etc. then i started researching it (i should have done that before i dove into being a vegetarian) and then i recruited my siblings into being vegetarian and semi-vegetarian. my parents finally realized that nothing they could do could make me eat meat and no my mom has accepted it. my dad is still not very supportive but with 3 of us girls not eating meat he can see we have won. i know it can be hard convincing them but hang in there. its the rite way to go and in the end it makes life better for everyone :) also if u wanna mention to your parents that the vegetarian way of eating is cheaper they may start accepting it.. hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Source(s): experience
  • Sweetie, I don't know how old you are but I went veggie at 12 and I'm vegan now and 16. It's been years and we still have battles over my food choices.

But I feel better knowing I'm sticking up for animals(:

I"m not advocating ignoring what your parents say but sometimes they just don't get it

Just don't eat it. They can't make you. Be prepared for many many arguments and stupid comments.

Take up cooking. Make some delicious vegetarian meals. That way, it'll be easier for you mommy and maybe you'll inspire them to go veggie once they see how delicious vegetarian food can be

GOOD LUCK(:

Source(s): I"ve done it

It's not like they can force meat down your throat. Just don't eat it. My mother said the same thing about animals being raised to eat when I told her I was a vegetarian. She didn't accept it, and thought it was stupid, but she got used to the idea.

Source(s): Life

Tell them how much you love animals, and tell them it's your choice to make, not theirs. Don't leave the dinner table, show them that you will fight to be a vegetarian. If they make you eat your meat, then start to fake cry. (or real cry) Tell them that there is A LOT of vegetarian meat choices. Hope you can become a vegetarian! :)

Source(s): I'm a vegetarian.

Health wise being a vegetarian is much healthier! read the book Skinny ***** by: Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. Do not be fooled by the title its a good book. It talks about the slaughter house conditions and statistics about health and giving up meat.

Source(s): read it. vegan
  • They don't have to LET you be one. You can choose whether to put animal flesh into your body or not. What are they going to do- force-feed you steak?

Edit: Simply refuse to eat it. They can't make you sit there forever and ever. You have school and things to do. Tell them that goes against your moral beliefs, and they should support you and your lifestyle choices. Have them watch an animal cruelty video. I recommend this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBgaRD0fzzk

Youtube thumbnail

Depending on how old you are, tell them you're old enough to make your own choices in life. Tell them to give you a chance to try something new. And it's also your choice on what you eat, not theirs. I've been vegetarian for nearly six years now and i love it.

Source(s): myself