Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 8 years ago

What should I expect when joining the US Army?

I'm going to be a senior in high school and I'm planning on joining the Army after graduation.I'm getting everything squared away with my recruiter, but I'm just thinking ahead, I guess, with this question. Thanks for your answers.

• Best Answer

Testing, paperwork up the backside, physical, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE MOS YOU WANT....or as close as possible if you score high....the issue is they will need certain slots filled based on the dates others will be getting out. I was pushed into Avionics as I had the scores and they had lots of guys rotating out. Our shop flipped 100% within a few months. After that things were stable with only a few coming and going.

Keep up the grades, get the math down...algerbra, trig, calc....you could get an invite to OCS...3 of us did in 73...Lord did I suck on those math scores! If you smoke stop. If you drink stop....if you don't know this....the sober guy will catch the girl he is chasing!!!!!!! Stay in shape so basic is a breeze.

You can look up all the exercises done...they require no equipment....doubletime is the method on foot movement in formation..not running...make sure you can hack 3 miles at a time with 3 lbs on your head a light pack...in Basic you will not be carrying full battle rattle....in AIT if Infantry you will.

Good Luck...

Ahh the memories, phosphorus melding into the Monterey fog, Drill Sergeants putting us in the thinking position. CS, blowing up Bambi’s dad with a claymore, first aid and how a bandoleer can hold things in place, chow, KP, pots and pans, having the Range Officer screaming cease fire while some idiot is firing on a civilian aircraft ( it was not me ), same thing except it was a yacht in no mans land behind the dunes in Monterey Bay, the guy that got hungry and ate poison ivy, wild pigs in bivouac area, being choked out for not saluting the aggressors flag in escape and evasion......AND WE ALL LIVED, SO WILL YOU!!!

They say that in the Army

The Chow is mighty fine

A biscuit rolled off the table

And killed a friend of mine

They say that in the Army

The Coffee’s mighty fine

It looks like muddy water

And tastes like turpentine.

They say that in the Army

The chickens mighty fine.

One jumped up on the table

And started marking time.

Don't think it has changed too awful much since Dino Days, I even throw in a little butt chewing...no extra charge

It might go a little like this:

Up before the sun @ 0430. Also known as O dark thirty

30 minutes max for the 3 S's ($h!t, shower, shave) sometimes the shower is the night before.

Formation.

A little PT: Daily Dozen and Singing “Up in the morning with the rising sun, were gonna run till the running is done” while double timing a mile

Chow: Coming to attention, count off 1 Drill Sergeant WETSU (We Eat This $h!t Up)

Formation

Draw weapons if going to range

Formation

Double time to training site. C130 rolling down the strip, airborne daddy gonna take a little trip.

Train

Chow

Train

More PT Drill Sargent We Eat This $h!t Up

Double time back to barracks. I wanna be an Airborne Ranger, lead a life of death and danger, I wanna go to Viet Nam, just to kill ole Charley Cong ( I will guess the words have changed)

If weapons were drawn….

Stack weapons

Post guards. Guard relief to the head of Chow line.

Chow

Clean weapons

Have weapon inspected

Turn in weapon

Formation maybe maybe not

1 hour of your time....maybe

GI boots

GI area

Mass Attack on Showers or wait till morning

Write mommy

Lights out 2100

Coma time

"DROP AND GIVE ME 20"

Keep the pie hole shut and listen.

Think out your questions...it's the Army...do not appear that you were not paying attention!!!

Do not point at food and ask WTF is that:

If it is a green looking meat like substance that is "Mystery meat". Chow down it's very good for you!

If it looks like lumpy burnt oatmeal it's SOS.

If the SOS is poured over a something ...that is a biscuit not a hockey puck…though it’s hard to tell the difference!

If it is yellow and dry it is cake. Just stick it in a glass of milk, it will be fine.

If it is brown and poured over rice it is chili.....maybe...could be gravy made from left over bacon grease.

You think it will make you fat???

NO PROBLEM! I will just PT you until your legs are wore off to the knee's and your arms to the elbow!!!

ARE WE CLEAR???

WELL ARE WE???

GOOD!

Close enough anyway!

A premature welcome to "The Club"!

SSG US Army 73-82

H/4/3 Ft. Ord Jul-Sep 1973

This We’ll Defend

Training is a blast. Did you say you enjoy yard work? Because no matter what your job is supposed to be you will be mowing grass, digging grass out of cracks in sidewalks, spending entire days inside doing food service. In the military, the government has paid for you and they need someone to do all the ***** jobs. If you have low rank, that's you. They certainly don't hire a landscape service to keep the base looking nice.

Understand they will put you at the needs of the army, before your needs (during boot camp).

an extension of highschool