Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Christians, how would you explain this (respectful)atheists thought re: Jesus?

We need to know what the bible means, and when people put things down that

yes, they certainly believe, we want to know how we believe.

So, here is the comment, with respect returned to this atheist who feels this way:

But to be fair to the Christians. They did NOT need Jesus to be crucified for their sins. Jesus took that upon him SELF. Which is why they follow him. Because they believe that he did an in-repayable favor to humanity. (capitals added by me).

This turns out to be a decent doctrinal point, and one we need to be able to explain.

I would have my own explanation, and am interested

in hearing your explanation.

Wondering how you will answer here. It's clear enough, but

then there is explaining it.

Favorite Answer

In order to understand this , we have to go all the way back to where God is telling us who "ONE" will come to atone for the sins of man...God saw his fallen nation, "Israel" and knew that it would not be suitable for HE himself to descend on Earth as he tried to reveal himself on several occasions and look what happened by the descriptions from Moses and a select few others...God's light is so brilliant and Awe struck that man cannot even gaze upon him...So God, in all his knowledge and Glory, determined to allow something that man , in his small mind, can grasp...A man, with the spirit of God within him...To ascend on Earth and give of himself..This is why many of us come to call Jesus God as well. Because, it is evident to me of what I have just discerned in my above paragraph...This is what I am hearing in my minds' eye...

• Jim

The promise of Savior who would pay the sin debt for humanity is a divine theme that goes all the way back to Genesis 3:15. It is constantly repeated and illustrated throughout the Old Testament - both in the Law and in the Prophets. Jesus did not make this sacrificial death thing up on His own. In fact He told the two guys on the Emmaus road that the Messiah must suffer according to the scriptures. Sounds like this respectful atheist has a pretty shallow understanding of the scriptures.

Well....the original sin of Adam & Eve was a great act of sin against the all-holy God...what else would suffice toward restoring things to the way they had been (fixing the wrong that was done)? Would offering two turtle-doves and a pigeon have sufficed in making satisfaction? What would equalize it? In my purview -- only God himself could bring back that original justice -- so he himself came in the form of a man and made atonement for our sins because we in our very weakness -- and insignificance -- were incapable of doing so of our own accord.

• Greg O

Well, there is the fact that the "sin" Jesus was saving us from was created by him in the first place (as Yahweh).

Yahweh placed the Tree in the Garden and made Adam & Eve INNOCENT - bot knowing right from wrong. God also put the tempting snake in the Garden. When they believe the snake and eat - it is only THEN that they realize they have done wrong.

Would you punish a child that harshly for not getting something right the first time? Or would you punish them eternally?

So - god sacrificed himself to himself for a situation he created.

Actually, the God of the Jews, whom the Christians made their own God, required blood atonement for any perceived wrongs against him. This is why Jesus' "sacrifice" was a necessity.

How much of a sacrifice is it for an immortal God to take a few days off by faking his death? Thats the real question.

It's like this. If you believe in Bigfoot, and people who also believe in Bigfoot confirms the way you think and believe about Bigfoot; helps make your belief stronger. Christians get preached to, and this helps to deepening their god belief. But as you see from my example, deeply believing doesn't mean its true.

What human being could ever make the claim that we did not need Jesus to die for us?

It was God's plan. Ask him.

• Moi

The quote is inaccurate. We DO need him to make propitiation for our sins as we can never do that ourselves! He ALSO did it willingly - as the wholly obedient Son of God!

It's a clear case of BOTH rather than one or the other!

Jhn 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins.

It's been a long, long time since I've believed in anything you've just said. The crucifixion of Jesus makes no sense to me. I am sorry.

OK wait, Jesus didn't stick his hand up and say "Crucify me! Crucify me! For HUMANKIND!"

Please read your Bible.