promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Once Democrats get the House back, should they pass a sweeping Federal law that basically codifies Roe v. Wade?

I think it's a great idea.

It'll essentially protect any further curbs on Roe at the state level.

Moreover, the so-called 'pro-lifers' had a Pyrrhic victory when they won in Carhart v. Gonzales (2007), when it said that the Federal government could pass abortion-related statutory laws.

Now, if something like the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA) were passed, the abortion issue would finally be finished in this country. It would be like discussing women's suffrage or desegregation --- issues that have become moot.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

That would be awesome but it would require guts and conviction which I'm not sure too many politicians have anymore. I would love it if we could get the Equal Rights Amendment passed in illinois and nevada. That would do a lot for women and their right to choose.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Roe vs. Wade was a flawed decision. The court based their decision on a woman's right to privacy. Read your constitution, you will not find a right to privacy especially the right to privately murder someone else.

The real question is at what stage of developement does a baby become a human, with human rights.

• Di
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

No. State's rights. People are free to live in those states that give them what they need while the rest of us could respect life and not have to defend our position.

• 9 years ago

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/house...

HALOLOLOLOLOLOL.......

The country could go into an economic boom, Obama kills off all terrorists, and the Democratic Party strikes a peace deal with Aliens in front of the world AND the Dems STILL wouldn't win get back the house. lol get out of your Liberal bubble. Even I acknowledge the inevitable even if it's not in the best interests of mine or Republican ideals. Get real.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Don't you think that would have happened by now if politicians thought it was the right thing to do?

Its political suicide to touch the issue. So, everyone avoids it.

• 9 years ago

democrats wont get the house back in 2012 and they will lose the senate in 2012 and it would be a bad ideal they need to let roe v wade alone

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

after 100 years !

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Well with gay marriage coming up pretty soon abortion will become irrelevant because gays will adopt those unwanted kids.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.