Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 years ago

Getting into the Naval Academy?

Ok, it is my top goal and dream to get into the Naval Academy. Setting grades aside, what does the Naval Academy really like to see from its applicants? I have read about this thing called Sea Cadets which says it is a partner of the Navy. Would this help me get in? I am a very good athlete in my opinion. I have played hockey all of my life, and was selected for my state team this year. (I was also on my high school varsity team.) Although I don't think I can play D1, I read that the Naval Academy has a club team which can "assist in the admissions." I joined track this past year as a sophomore, and was on JV. I'm honestly not that fast, and don't know if it's even worth it to continue next year. I also work at my local charity organization, and this coming year I will be helping special education kids play hockey.Could anyone give me any advice on what would look really good, and make me stand out among the thousands of others who apply? Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

• Tom
    Favorite Answer

The service academies recruit a lot of athletes and the Naval Academy recruits more than West Point which recruits more than Air Force. Since all service academy cadets/mids are on full scholarship, they are not limited in the number of scholarships awarded to athletes by Ncaa rules.

http://i56.tinypic.com/5klrt0.gif

There are over 170 football players on the Naval Academy football team. Around 35% of Naval Academy freshmen are members of Naval Academy varsity athletic teams, most were athletic recruits. 60% of each class were athletic team captains. Over 90% participated in varsity sports. Ice Hockey probably does not get any slots at the Naval Academy Prep School but neither do some varsity sports. Those slots are primarily reserved for football, lacrosse and basketball and truly standout athletes in a few other varsity sports. 17 of 19 freshmen on the 2010 Lax team spent a year at Naps. This means they were either not academically competitive for direct appointment or Naps was being used for a redshirt year. There are around 240 total slots at Naps. The Naval Academy really likes to see outstanding student athletes who are also involved and show leadership in one or two other non athletic extracurricular activities. It is too late to show leadership in an organization like Sea Cadets. It would have been ok if you had joined when you were twelve or thirteen but it is better at this point to show leadership in school activities. It also helps to know what is considered leadership. For instance NHS membership is considered leadership and about 2/3 of each service academy class have been NHS members. Athletic team captain is considered significant leadership of the highest variety. Selection for Boy's State is considered significant leadership on a par with Eagle Scout. There are examples at the Usafa "Leadership Prep" link below. If you are on your state team you are probably good recruit caliber for a club hockey team at the Naval Academy.

http://navyhockey.net/page.php?page_id=13487

As already mentioned there are probably no slots reserved for ice hockey at Naps, so you will need to be able to scholastically qualify for direct admission from high school. If recruited this will lead to an Loa based on athletic achievement. Right now you should be prepping for the Psat and also the Sat if you have already competed Algebra 2. The Act if you have completed Trig. Psat tests Alg 1 and Geometry. Sat also tests Alg 2. Act tests all of the aforementioned Math subjects. An extracurricular reading program looking up unknown words in a dictionary will help with Cr scores.

http://reading.berkeley.edu/

An applicant should have competitive scores by Feb 1, the day Usna Summer Seminar starts accepting applications. If you are also applying to Usafa and West Point Summer Seminars. Usafa starts accepting apps Dec 1 and SLS starts accepting apps mid December. Advisable to apply to all. They are very similar and going to one lets the admissions boards at all know that a Candidate knows the very regimented lifestyle that a service academy Cadet/Mid leads.

The selection process is nearly identical at the the Naval Academy, Air Force Academy, and West Point, so, whatever is stated on one service academy website or in its catalog with regard to admissions generally holds for the others. If you read the following answer and open the links it should help to explain the selection process and the path to an appointment:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Akhc0...

The Air Force Academy website offers outstanding advice to students prepping for a service academy, rotc scholarship or any highly selective university. Open all links to the left of the dialog box. Be sure to open the "Leadership Preparation" link and read it carefully."

http://www.academyadmissions.com/#Page/Preparation

Don't pay attention to the recommended Computers course. That is not in the Air Force Academy Catalog and has probably been copied since the time when several computer languages were needed to use a PC. Also, see page 19 of Chapter 2 of the Usna Catalog for suggested courses.

http://www.usna.edu/Catalog/

Good Luck!

The Naval Academy is looking for big standouts. They can only pick two per state anyway, right? My advice to you: If you're not tired you're not busy enough. Get involved in anything. Try to set some headlines, do something big. If you do all the right things, you stand a chance. Hockey is an asset, but not everything. Sorry if this is too vague, but I can't think of many examples

Source(s): GOOD LUCK

You should apply for admission between April of your junior year in high school and January of your senior year in high school. The earlier you apply the better.

The Sea Cadets Corps is a program offered to young adults who want to "sample" Navy life. It could "help" you get in as in you can ask your instructor for a nomination.

Also, you must score *VERY HIGH* on the American College Test or the Scholastic Assestment Test.

Your extra-curricular are activities are good.

You can also apply for the NROTC scholarship program. You go to a four-year college (UCLA, UCR) that host a NROTC unit and you graduate and you will be an Ensign or 2nd Lieutenant.