Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 10 years ago

What's Considered "Chat" On Y!A?

When questions get deleted because of "chat." What does that exactly mean?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Vicky
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Y!A's definitions can be found in the Help/FAQ pages:

____QUOTE_______

What is considered “chat”?

Yahoo! Answers is a question-and-answer community of people sharing knowledge. We provide a couple of different ways for members to connect with one another, including email, instant message, and a comments area, so chatting in questions and answers is not allowed. When people use Answers to chat with each other, it lowers the quality of the site and inhibits knowledge-sharing.

Yahoo! Answers is not meant to be about gaming or playing a game, it is about sharing knowledge with other Yahoo! users across the world and, for this reason, questions involving gaming are not allowed.

Here are a few examples of what we consider chatting:

* How (are you, old are you, was your day, is everyone today)?

* What are you/What am I (doing, thinking of, wearing, etc.)?

* Guess my/Can you guess my/What's your (name, age, sex, weight, birthday, location, etc.)?

* Who is from…/Who plays …here/Who wants to chat

* Do you like my (avatar, web site, poem, etc.)?*

* Who wants to celebrate my birthday, drivers license, first 100 points, level 7?

* Where is user (nickname) gone?

* Avatar games and games of any nature

We also consider questions that call out other users by name to be chatting. If the intent is to ask a follow-up question in response to someone else’s question and that person is not available via email or IM, post a new question that’s open to everyone in the community to answer – there might be someone else who’s better equipped to answer it.

* Please note that exceptions to this rule would have to satisfy two criteria: The question would have to be 1) advice-seeking and 2) knowledge-worthy. For example, it would be OK to ask, "How can I improve my poem?" or "How do I make my avatar look more attractive?"

____End Quote______

I hope this helps

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

chat

• 10 years ago

What Vicky said. Or, to summarize, anything outside the paradigm of knowledge-oriented questions and answers.

Y!A is not a forum in the general sense; it is structured to support a certain format of knowledge exchange. There are lots of places on the web for free-wheeling discussion.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

'Gossip

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

It's when you make personal comments between each other, like how much someone likes your Hello Kitty avatar.

Being deleted in three, two, one...

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I guess when you keep editing a question and holding a conversation

Like i do lol

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

apparently even this is chat...

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

just about everything these days :(

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.