Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 10 years ago

What's Considered "Chat" On Y!A?

When questions get deleted because of "chat." What does that exactly mean?

• Vicky
    Favorite Answer

Y!A's definitions can be found in the Help/FAQ pages:

____QUOTE_______

What is considered “chat”?

Yahoo! Answers is a question-and-answer community of people sharing knowledge. We provide a couple of different ways for members to connect with one another, including email, instant message, and a comments area, so chatting in questions and answers is not allowed. When people use Answers to chat with each other, it lowers the quality of the site and inhibits knowledge-sharing.

Yahoo! Answers is not meant to be about gaming or playing a game, it is about sharing knowledge with other Yahoo! users across the world and, for this reason, questions involving gaming are not allowed.

Here are a few examples of what we consider chatting:

* How (are you, old are you, was your day, is everyone today)?

* What are you/What am I (doing, thinking of, wearing, etc.)?

* Guess my/Can you guess my/What's your (name, age, sex, weight, birthday, location, etc.)?

* Who is from…/Who plays …here/Who wants to chat

* Do you like my (avatar, web site, poem, etc.)?*

* Who wants to celebrate my birthday, drivers license, first 100 points, level 7?

* Where is user (nickname) gone?

* Avatar games and games of any nature

We also consider questions that call out other users by name to be chatting. If the intent is to ask a follow-up question in response to someone else’s question and that person is not available via email or IM, post a new question that’s open to everyone in the community to answer – there might be someone else who’s better equipped to answer it.

* Please note that exceptions to this rule would have to satisfy two criteria: The question would have to be 1) advice-seeking and 2) knowledge-worthy. For example, it would be OK to ask, "How can I improve my poem?" or "How do I make my avatar look more attractive?"

____End Quote______

I hope this helps

chat

What Vicky said. Or, to summarize, anything outside the paradigm of knowledge-oriented questions and answers.

Y!A is not a forum in the general sense; it is structured to support a certain format of knowledge exchange. There are lots of places on the web for free-wheeling discussion.

'Gossip

It's when you make personal comments between each other, like how much someone likes your Hello Kitty avatar.

Being deleted in three, two, one...

I guess when you keep editing a question and holding a conversation

Like i do lol

apparently even this is chat...

just about everything these days :(