The diminishing variety in the world, are you sad about it?

I was looking at old pictures from explorers who went around the world visiting many different cultures, and what struck me about the photos was the huge variety in how people dressed! From Africa to Asia every culture had their own way of dressing! And it got me thinking, today that variety is diminishing, you see... show more I was looking at old pictures from explorers who went around the world visiting many different cultures, and what struck me about the photos was the huge variety in how people dressed! From Africa to Asia every culture had their own way of dressing! And it got me thinking, today that variety is diminishing, you see photos or video of Africa and Asia today and the vast majority of people are wearing western clothes! Of course some have kept their traditionally clothing, but their numbers have greatly diminished. And I was sadden by this, so much fashion, design and skill is being lost around the world only to be replaced by mass produced t-shirts with ticks on them. And, in a wider sense this westernisation goes far beyond what people wear, its changing the very essence of other cultures. Of course the homogeneous tendencies of capitalism is well documented, and in a way I think I can put up with a starbucks on every corner of every western city, but I am sadden by the loss of other cultures as they become increasingly westernised under capitalism. What do you think? Are you sad about it? Perhaps you have ideas about how we can prevent it? Or perhaps your more of an imperialist and think its a good thing? Either way I'd love to read your thoughts!
6 answers 6