alexa
alexa asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 9 years ago

How long should I use aquaphor for my tattoo?

So I got my tattoo three days ago and I've been putting aquaphor on three times daily. It's healing very nicely and now I think it's almost at the peeling stage. The tattoo artist told me to apply aquaphor for two weeks. But, I've been reading a lot that after a few days I should switch to an unscented lotion. I was just curious as to what everyone thinks on here? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

what my tattoo artist(s) have told me is that to use the aquaphor for 3 to 5 days three times a day then after that use unscented lotion 5 times a day. i have three tattoos and i'v used this method each time and i cant complain

hey

there is no need to switch creams as they will both do the same job only the aqua cream will work better

you need to keep using it even past the peeling stage and if you are peeling DO NOT remove the scabbs this will remove some of the ink in the skin. you will notice when it is dry there will be a slight shine to the skin with the ink in it, this needs to completely disappear before you can stop using the cream, keep using it as often as possible it does not need to be at regular times but your tattoo should never be dry it should always have a layer of cream on it.

another good cream to use is bepanthen, its a nappy cream but it is amazing on tattoos, its good for putting on and leaving as it doesnt rub of easily

but there is no need to switch creams and do not stop cream all together!

Aquaphor is fine, but I would only use it for 6-7 days. Then switch to lotion. Your tat needs air to heal, just like a normal wound. Putting on too think a layer of ANYTHING prevents air from getting to it.

• Kayla

Listen to your tattoo artist not other people because your tattoo artist won't be too happy if your tattoo is messed up because you took someone else's advice and not his/hers.

As a tattooist, I only recommend putting it on for a few days, then if it gets really dry, use vasoline. If the skin around it starts to hurt more after 3 days and gets red, then start using maximum strength neosporin.

Source(s): Tattooist
    • As a "tattooist" you should know that neither Vaseline or Neosporin should EVER be used on a tattoo. Vaseline makes it unable to breathe and Neosporin causes the ink to fade.